Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/launch-of-city-bike-share-scheme-1-8854491

Ours will be from OFO. It says 3-speed hub but I think that they are fitting a low range hub on them.

https://www.ofo.com/

Was in Manchester last week and their Mo bikes seem to be doing well now after the kids have got bored of chucking them in canals. Lots of them in the city centre and I saw one right out at Chorlton

Actually, I've noticed a big increase in cycling in Manchester over the last few years so maybe that Dutch-style infrastructure they've put along Oxford Road is working. (Sheffield chose not to bid for money from that fund)

I just wonder how many of the 1,000 bikes will still be around after a year. No mention of how this charge is paid either.

Actually, I've noticed a big increase in cycling in Manchester over the last few years so maybe that Dutch-style infrastructure they've put along Oxford Road is working. (Sheffield chose not to bid for money from that fund)

If the Netherlands had Sheffield's hills then I very much doubt they'd have many cyclists (and Manchester is pretty flat as well).

If the Netherlands had Sheffield's hills then I very much doubt they'd have many cyclists (and Manchester is pretty flat as well).

This hill thing often comes up. I don't buy it.

The east side of Sheffield is flat, the 5 river valleys give easy riding corridors. There are ways to zig-zag up the valley sides. My favourite route from Hillsborough to Walkley does just that.

What is hardly ever mentioned is just how windy it can get in those flat countries like the Netherlands can get. Give me a 5-mile commute in Sheffield any day over 5 miles into a headwind with no shelter.

That being said Sheffield does seem to be the capital of the electric bike revolution. They are all over the place but you often don't notice them Keep watching as I hear rumours that there will be an electric hire bike service coming to Sheffield on day r

Sounds like you'll be able to pick up and drop off in more places than the current scheme, which will be good!

The east side of Sheffield is fairly sparsely populated - and the Netherlands has no valley sides where you need to zig zag up a few hundred feet.

Odd isn't it that the places with the highest numbers of bikes (thinking of say Cambridge and York) are flat.

I just wonder how many of the 1,000 bikes will still be around after a year. No mention of how this charge is paid either.

A fair bit of scrap value to be had there.

The Netherlands has the Netherlands' headwinds. Hence all the windmills.

A fair bit of scrap value to be had there.

they'll be fitted with trackers, motion sensors and mobile connectivity I should imagine so they'll know when they're being stolen and inform the police.

The Netherlands has the Netherlands' headwinds. Hence all the windmills.

Not every day in the Netherlands is windy by any means - away from the coast you're looking at something like 300 days a year without a strong breeze.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Netherlands/wind-speed-annual.php

The hills in Sheffield are here every day.

I'm looking forward to my first OFO!

The great thing about hills, is they're not as hard as you softies seem to think, and it's all downhill on the other side :)