The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

I read today that Irish Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar is threatening that British airlines could be banned from flying over Irish airspace, (currently allowed under 'open skies' agreement), in the event of a no deal hard Brexit.

Fair enough but good luck to the Irish citizens trying to fly to mainland Europe without entering UK airspace, as a possible response. They're in for a long & additional costly trip Taoiseach!

Nothing has changed yet. However, things will change after the UK leave the EU. Why do you think the UK and the EU are negotiating about what will happen after the UK leave the EU? The fact is the UK will be able to allow free movement across the border from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland regardless of what the EU say.

There is no workable solution without a CU and SM

The reality will hit home soon enough.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 13:55 ----------

I read today that Irish Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar is threatening that British airlines could be banned from flying over Irish airspace, (currently allowed under 'open skies' agreement), in the event of a no deal hard Brexit.

Fair enough but good luck to the Irish citizens trying to fly to mainland Europe without entering UK airspace, as a possible response. They're in for a long & additional costly trip Taoiseach!

Depends where they’re going. For most Irish holiday makers it makes little difference.

For British transatlantic flights not much difference either.

The danger is the French government etc... making the same ruling

The threats are getting ridiculous. The Republic of Ireland rely on the UK road network and UK ports to transport their goods and produce to the EU mainland. The Republic of Ireland's own ports would not be able to cope, if all Irish goods and produce had to make the whole journey from Ireland to Europe via water.

Flying in each others air space is governed by agreements, which we currently have as part of the EU. If we come to an agreement with the EU it is very likely to include 'open skies' and we'd continue as now. No deal would mean those agreements no longer apply and something else would need to be negotiated to replace them. It's just one of the many international agreements we have as part of the EU that may have to be renegotiated depending on what sort of Brexit we have.

Why do brexiters have such a problem realising that leaving the EU means we are no longer part of agreements negotiated as part of the EU and that they need to be replaced? We are leaving the club - we don't get to continue with the benefits of being in the club.

For British transatlantic flights not much difference either.

Not so. Our open skies agreements with the US are via the EU. Brexit means they need renegotiating too.

Flying in each others air space is governed by agreements, which we currently have as part of the EU. If we come to an agreement with the EU it is very likely to include 'open skies' and we'd continue as now. No deal would mean those agreements no longer apply and something else would need to be negotiated to replace them. It's just one of the many international agreements we have as part of the EU that may have to be renegotiated depending on what sort of Brexit we have.

Why do brexiters have such a problem realising that leaving the EU means we are no longer part of agreements negotiated as part of the EU and that they need to be replaced? We are leaving the club - we don't get to continue with the benefits of being in the club.

Not so. Our open skies agreements with the US are via the EU. Brexit means they need renegotiating too.

I was replying to the comment about Irish airspace. But yes you are correct.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 14:48 ----------

The threats are getting ridiculous. The Republic of Ireland rely on the UK road network and UK ports to transport their goods and produce to the EU mainland. The Republic of Ireland's own ports would not be able to cope, if all Irish goods and produce had to make the whole journey from Ireland to Europe via water.

I found you an excellent deal on wipes for getting that froth and spittle off your screen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Connect-KF04501-Screen-Keyboard-Wipes/dp/B000KJOZDY?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000KJOZDY

Don’t say I never do anything for you

I found you an excellent deal on wipes for getting that froth and spittle off your screen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Connect-KF04501-Screen-Keyboard-Wipes/dp/B000KJOZDY?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000KJOZDY

Don’t say I never do anything for you

I am happy for you, if you believe that is your best input in the discussion. No UK citizen regardless of which way they voted in the EU referendum should want the UK Government to kowtow to the EU during Brexit negotiations. Brexit is not the UK's darkest hour, which those still who have not accepted the referendum result, wish it to be.

I am happy for you, if you believe that is your best input in the discussion. No UK citizen regardless of which way they voted in the EU referendum should want the UK Government to kowtow to the EU during Brexit negotiations. Brexit is not the UK's darkest hour, which those still who have not accepted the referendum result, wish it to be.

I do!

I want as much of the current freedoms within the EU we currently enjoy to continue, such as the free movement of people and residency within the EU. Why you may ask. It is because we are able to utilise these benefits. I want my children to have the option of going to university to world class institutions for free. I want them to also have the opportunity to work in whatever EU country they want without the bureaucratic hinderence that could prevent them doing so.

Not to mention the economic equivalent of shooting your own foot by not doing so.

I'm guessing that on such matters, big business, as in most matters, will dictate rather than governments / the EU?

I'm guessing that on such matters, big business, as in most matters, will dictate rather than governments / the EU?

I am guessing you mean such big business as the aviation industry and the German motor industry, which both will seek for arrangements to be the same as before the UK leave the EU.

Just watched an interview with Rees-Mogg.

He said it could be 50 years before the economic consequences of Brexit are known. Wow!

Anyway. Question for you. You’ve already said you would support military intervention in our democratic process, so if a militia was set up to help subdue opposition to Brexit, would you join up?

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 17:09 ----------

I do!

I want as much of the current freedoms within the EU we currently enjoy to continue, such as the free movement of people and residency within the EU. Why you may ask. It is because we are able to utilise these benefits. I want my children to have the option of going to university to world class institutions for free. I want them to also have the opportunity to work in whatever EU country they want without the bureaucratic hinderence that could prevent them doing so.

Not to mention the economic equivalent of shooting your own foot by not doing so.

Don’t worry about our best and most talented youngsters. EU countries will accept them in a heartbeat. Trust me, there is zero animosity towards our youngsters and they won’t be punished but greeted with open arms. Seen evidence of this personally - very shortly two of my kids will be living on the continent. British kids are in demand.

Not much consolation for most people I guess.

I am guessing you mean such big business as the aviation industry and the German motor industry, which both will seek for arrangements to be the same as before the UK leave the EU.

They won't be the same. Under May's preferred plan... (ability to diverge standards and laws as we see fit) it won't matter, they'll be going anyway.

To stay would mean that at any moment they could end up having the rug pulled from under their feet, as Brexit has already done.

I think they'll hedge their bets, hope for the best in the short term but be looking at longer term issues... of which there are likely to be many.

Not overnight, but a slow wind down as production is slowly moved back into the EU to minimise the upset to their balance sheets.

They've already started moving their supply chains away from UK suppliers to avoid "country of origin" problems post Brexit.

The UK Government, as usual, is miles behind:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-10/u-k-only-now-asks-business-to-map-supply-chain-ahead-of-brexit

Edited by Magilla