Is something wrong with my router?

I think there may be something wrong with my router...

My setup as follows.

Internet through phone line in to router provided by EE. Ethernet cable from that router (gigabit wired connection) through plugs and in to my internet input on my own router. All my devices (wired and wireless) are connected to my own router.

All works fine, except that occasionally, I lose internet for a few seconds (around 10). I don't know if the problem is internet coming in to my house, of if there's a problem with my own router. Everytime I try getting internet direct from the EE router, it works perfectly.

This is my router: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/TL-WDR3600.html

Also, even when I connect to the admin panel for my NAS (which is wired in to my own router), it sometimes loses connection.

Any suggestions? What's the best way to diagnose the problem?

Thanks.

---------- Post added 20-07-2018 at 18:30 ----------

Just as an idea (involving ditching my own router) how would the following setup work out?...

EE router with ethernet cable attached to it's (single) gigabit port; that cable connects to some kind of splitter or switch? From that I have one ethernet cable going to my NAS, and another going to my Mac (and potentially one to a laptop). All wireless devices can connect to the EE router.

My requirements are fairly simple; just want to get as fast as possible file transfer NAS <> Mac, and able to configure DCHP so specific devices are on IP addresses I chose.

Would that kind of setup work? Is it a switch that I would need?

Thanks again.

Without getting too geeky, here's how I do things.

Router to switch (gigabit unmanaged switch)

From the switch to each server/Main PCs with CAT-5e/CAT-6 cable

Each of the servers or main PC's has static IP addressing (best practice to not use DHCP on servers)

The above being said, like a PC, your network is only as good as the weakest point. That could be the router. Setting static IP addresses makes life much easier when trouble shooting and as it's free, I'd do that first. It's also worth trying a different DNS server other than the ISP default.

Without getting too geeky, here's how I do things.

Router to switch (gigabit unmanaged switch)

From the switch to each server/Main PCs with CAT-5e/CAT-6 cable

Each of the servers or main PC's has static IP addressing (best practice to not use DHCP on servers)

The above being said, like a PC, your network is only as good as the weakest point. That could be the router. Setting static IP addresses makes life much easier when trouble shooting and as it's free, I'd do that first. It's also worth trying a different DNS server other than the ISP default.

So, if I understand, you are just setting the IP address for your computer(s) on your computer(s), rather than relying on router and DHCP to assign IP addresses?

Trying to understand the benefit in doing it that way. Can devices wired in to the switch, talk to each other without having to go to the router to figure out IP addresses?

For wireless devices (phones, tablets, printers), would they still use DCHP and have IP addresses assigned by the router?

Thanks.

Think I use 8.8.8.8 for DNS.

In short yes, but it has advantages.

You always know which device on a network it is. With DHCP you can find them ok but it could have a different IP address. Some routers can cause issues directing to the right device. If you set static it helps eliminate some problems. With servers it is always better to have the same address for obvious reasons IMO... devices know exactly where to go and it never changes.

DNS is up to you. You list Google, I moved away from them on to Cloudflares DNS which, if I remember right are 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 Up to now they have been ok with no big problems. There are plenty to go at so try a few and see which works best for you.

Basic switches keep a switching table so yes, they can direct traffic to a device without going through the router as long as it's on the same subnet. There are more advanced switches but it's moving away from what you say your needs are.

It's up to you how you setup your network and it can be a bit of trial and error. On my network ALL file/media servers have static IP addresses. Other devices such as tablets and the odd laptop use DHCP.

In short yes, but it has advantages.

You always know which device on a network it is. With DHCP you can find them ok but it could have a different IP address. Some routers can cause issues directing to the right device. If you set static it helps eliminate some problems. With servers it is always better to have the same address for obvious reasons IMO... devices know exactly where to go and it never changes.

DNS is up to you. You list Google, I moved away from them on to Cloudflares DNS which, if I remember right are 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 Up to now they have been ok with no big problems. There are plenty to go at so try a few and see which works best for you.

Basic switches keep a switching table so yes, they can direct traffic to a device without going through the router as long as it's on the same subnet. There are more advanced switches but it's moving away from what you say your needs are.

It's up to you how you setup your network and it can be a bit of trial and error. On my network ALL file/media servers have static IP addresses. Other devices such as tablets and the odd laptop use DHCP.

Thanks zach.

Yeah, I think a similar setup to what you have would suit my needs very well. I'm using static IP already for NAS, Mac, Laptop and Printer. Certainly with the Mac and Laptop, I found I can just set it in the device itself, not sure about the Printer, imagine I could do it on the NAS though. Right now, with the NAS and Printer, they're getting their IP from the router, but using a reserved address (you can assign IP to specific Mac address in router control panel). I'm wondering if that is technically slower than an 'assigned on device IP'?

There's no difference in speed etc using static or DHCP, once the device has that IP it has that IP. I run static for fixed stuff usually like desktop PC, Mede8er streamer etc but DHCP for others. DHCP will usually pick up the DNS server of the router unless you specifically set it. This is a pain sometimes as PlusNet's One fibre router doesn't allow you to change it's DNS servers and it seems plusnet's are crap so each page load seems to do a new DNS lookup. Fine when I use OpenDNS no such issues. Probably something to do with their filtering even if it's not enabled.

Is there anything in the routers logs? You can normally check these in it's control panel. How often does it happen? When it happens are you able to check another device at the same time to see if it's also happening to that?

Is there anything in the routers logs? You can normally check these in it's control panel. How often does it happen? When it happens are you able to check another device at the same time to see if it's also happening to that?

I notice it maybe every other day, and probably 2 or 3 times that day. Maybe an average once a day. That's just when I notice though, imagine it happens more often, and I just don't see it.

When it happens, it affects all devices.

I'll have a look at the logs.

Also, will leave a device connected to the ISP router, so when it happens, I can check internet is still actually coming in to the house. Unless there is a way to monitor and log availability of internet to a router over time?

"Ethernet cable from that router (gigabit wired connection) through plugs and in to my internet input on my own router."

By plugs do you mean homeplug devices? If you are using those then that is probably your issue, those things are not very reliable, particularly if you are using them between different floors of a house.

"Ethernet cable from that router (gigabit wired connection) through plugs and in to my internet input on my own router."

By plugs do you mean homeplug devices? If you are using those then that is probably your issue, those things are not very reliable, particularly if you are using them between different floors of a house.

Yep, that's what i'm using, they're tp-link 600mbps I think. If the switch doesn't help matters, may have to try running an ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs room. Already have holes in outside wall in the right places (where old VM cable was routed). Will any ethernet cable be suitable for outdoor use? (going up the side of an exterior wall)

Thanks.

This article might be of help to you:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/assign-fixed-static-ip-addresses-to-devices-on-home-network/

Cable advice here:

https://www.lifewire.com/running-ethernet-cables-outdoors-816267

Just remember to give a bit of extra run for 'pull-down' so that your cable in both instances enters 'below' each hole so water does not enter along the cable run in much the same way you would fix cable from and outdoor aerial coming into the building. ;)

Yep, that's what i'm using, they're tp-link 600mbps I think. If the switch doesn't help matters, may have to try running an ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs room. Already have holes in outside wall in the right places (where old VM cable was routed). Will any ethernet cable be suitable for outdoor use? (going up the side of an exterior wall)

Thanks.

Oh, right, I'd taken plugs as plugs into a switch on the end of CAT 5/6 cable. I had to fit some of these at my Mums house. While they worked, the speeds were far from the advertised.

While they are an option, for me they would be the last option.

If you can, as already said, try to take homeplugs out of the equation. They are so variable I've found wifi to be more consistent. You can get external cabling, most decent places should sell rolls. If you wanted you could then put sockets in the rooms you need them and run the cable outside between them.