Ask stated  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Ask stated

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Sod it Im saving up for a Flying Car. :hihi:

At what point did anyone mention adding a vehicle to traffic

The very first post of this thread. It's actually what the thread's about, cylists adding to the volume of mainstream traffic due to an absence of cycle lanes

even taking things literally?

My first post in this thread, the one you quoted and replied to

Everything I'm talking is relevant as it feeds into the discussion of congestion. People on bikes are likely to reduce the number of cars. Most cars only have 1 occupant, relatively few people catch buses etc. Traffic is not numbers of people you are right but its not just the number of vehicles, it is also affected by how much space each vehicle takes up. 30 people on bus take up far less space than 30 people on bikes which in turn take up far less space than 30 people in cars. So cycling reduces traffic due to statistical probability of what that person may otherwise be doing (driving a car)

Cool story, your claim was that I made an assumption though, which I didn't.

But you did.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 13:33 ----------

Drivers are quite happy sitting behind another car, I cant see why is it any harder sitting behind a cyclist until it is safe to pass.

I think some form of anxiety plays a part in this, about the (perceived) expectations of other drivers behind. I think some, if not many, drivers get stuck momentarily behind a cyclist and think that the car behind will become impatient with them for not overtaking the cyclist sooner.

Or something like that.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 13:34 ----------

Personally I am a great advocate of road safety. Have always been taught that I should give a parked car a minimum of 1 mtr in case someone suddently opens a door without looking, and to give a cyclist the same grace in case they need to swerve to avoid a pothole or similar.However, it would be nice if cyclists gave me the same grace occasionally.

Today on the way into work, a cyclist I passed on Penistone Road (allowing plenty of room) then came passing in between myself and another car whilst we were sat in a queue at traffic lights, clipping my wing mirror and almost taking himself out in the process. Fortunately no real damage was caused, but clearly he had not left me, or the car next door, the same 1 mtr space (there was barely that between us).

I think bad driving / riding happens on both sides.

This is one of the very few gripes I have with (some) cyclists