Lancasterian School

Has anyone any info or pictures of this school in the 1890's please.

2 of my ancestors were here living at the Cherrytree Orphange in 1891.

Kind regards,

Calmar

:)

Hi Calmar - welcome to the Forum!.:)

According to the 1905 directory, "The Lancasterian Schools, in Bowling Green Street, were sold to the Sheffield School Board in 1881, and the trustees decided to invest the sum realised and to apply the interest in the founding of scholarships at the Central School and at other elementary schools in the Borough...." The picturesheffield.com site has a photo of the Bowling Green Street building - here is a link. Click on the photo to enlarge - the words LANCASTERIAN SCHOOLS can be seen over the doorway. Another photo shows the school building in the distance.

Many thanks for your kind welcome!:)

I have seen one pic on the Picture Sheffield you mention, but you can't download you have to buy!!

Can you give me the link to the 1905 Directories please so that I can read more about this place.

Kind regards,

Calmar

Hello again - I don't think the 1905 directory is available online (I have a hardcopy of the book). I will send you my email address by PM (private message). If you would like a PDF file of the relevant page, email me and I can send this as an attachment.

I have replied to your PM.

Many thanks for that offer.

Calmar

The 1905 Sheffield directory (and many others) can be found at Historical Directories

Hugh

Interesting site! I couldn't find the 1905 directory but the 1901 directory is there; also the Lancasterian School is mentioned in the 1881 directory.

There is a thread about the Lancasterian School on the sheffieldhistory.co.uk site:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/6811-lancasterian-special-school-shalesmoor-and-wales-court/.

Edited by Banker

Thanks HughW and Banker for your offers.

I have linked to this discussion as I am researching my family. I understand that an uncle went to the Lancastrian School in Bowling Green Street in about 1924< I have been on the Sheffield Archives site and will be visiting there but I cannot find any records of this school on their site. Any knowledge?

I used to go there in 1957to study Motor engineering.

Me too in 1961-2 at night school from Pond Street college studying Coach Building, also Salmon Pastures down Attercliffe

The 1957 Kelly's Directory shows the school as the "Lancasterian Annexe" of the "Sheffield College of Commerce & Technology (Department of Science)", while directories from the 1920s to the 1940s show the "Lancasterian Council Schools". I would imagine that as "council schools" they will have been for children who lived nearby.