Problem with a Used Car Dealer in Sheffield

To cut a long story short, i bought a car recently from a dealer in Sheffield. The car has many problems and after speaking with someone at their office they have tried to blame the faults with the car on me. I have tried to ring them today but as soon as i say who i am they just tell me to take the car to their garage and put the phone down on me, i have been polite and respectful to them. I am not willing to go to their garage as they are very intimidating. I have sought advice from the CAB but wondered if anyone ele has had a bad experience with a dealer who once has received their money they don't want to know.

Get in touch with Trading standards, they will advise you on how to go about trying to sort the matter out and if you follow their advice and still get nowhere then trading standards will step in.

To cut a long story short, i bought a car recently from a dealer in Sheffield.

How recently?

If within 30 days they have a responsibility to replace or repair the car. Within the first six months the dealer has the responsibility to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought the car, not on you to prove that it was. If they continue to try to blame you without any evidence, then contact Trading Standards.

To be fair, I'd try for a full refund. If there are that many faults there are likely to be more and the longer it goes on, the more difficult it will be to prove either way.

I'm not being funny but why did you buy a car with so many faults?

Well it wasn't obvious that anything was wrong with it. The dealer wants nothing to do with it. I'm putting it in writing to them to see if I can get any further but doubt it. My own fault for going to a back street dealer who obviously has no customer care skills.

Hi

We had a similar thing with a car we bought for my son a year ago. If you paid for the car by card your bank may be able to help you. You should also put down everything in writing, sending registered letters etc to make sure you know they have received them. Depending on the problem, and how long you have had the car, you are covered under the Consumer Credit Act of 2015. Below is an extract of the letter we sent to the garage

purchased the VW Golf from ____________. At the point of purchase I paid £2485.

The VW Golf is unfit for purpose. Exhaust failure light appearing constantly and no revs above 1000. Has been back to yourselves twice and still not working properly.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with ______________ that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As you are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 30 days I am within my statutory rights to ask for a full refund of the original cost paid.

I await confirmation that you will provide the remedy set out above within 14 days of the date of this email.

Yours faithfully,

There is a good page on the internet from Which that gives lots of advice.

We ended up taking the car back a couple of times for them to fix it but they never did .... they then said they would pay us by cheque, however you are entitled to the money back by the same process you purchased it (in our case bank transfer) It took us a while, but we did get the money back in the end.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rightshttp://

Hope this has helped a bit.

Thank you for that, its really useful information. I'm really frustrated that they just put the phone down when I ring them, I don't know how they expect to keep customers if they treat them like this. When we tried to tell them whats wrong with the car (looks like the head gasket), they were finding all excuses for the problems and one of them being that my son has caused them to happen. My son is a responsible person and I find it quite rude of them to be saying he's 'done this and that'. They even said they had seen him driving the car past their garage which is not true but even so he didn't buy it to not use it so I think that most of what they are saying is irrelevant. They are very intimidating and when we went back to them one of them got on the phone and other men started to appear from nowhere and just stood watching us. They are very unprofessional and I would name and shame them but wont at this point as I will not stoop to their level. Oh and they wanted money by cash or bank transfer and wouldn't take a card payment, we should have seen the red flags then. I am concerned though that the 30 days will be up on 11th October and don't know if I have any rights if they don't respond to me by then.

Edited by katekate

It was a total nightmare at the time, partly because the garage weren't in Sheffield, and partly as I was undergoing chemotherapy at the time and it just added to the stress, although they did recoil a bit when I turned up with no hair, so you have my sympathy. Once we had started with the official letters etc they soon realised that we weren't going to go away.

Good luck, it is so much money to spend and then find that the car isn't worth it, and we won't buy from anywhere like that again.

You really didn't need that stress and I hope you are on the road to recovery. I will never go to a garage of this sort again as I have totally lost faith in them and learnt a very hard lesson. I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

I am concerned though that the 30 days will be up on 11th October and don't know if I have any rights if they don't respond to me by then.

Send them a letter saying you want a full refund, make sure it's dated and you keep a copy.

That way you've made your position clear within the 30 day window.

They might try and ignore you, but take them to court and they won't have a leg to stand on.

Small claims court isn't expensive or particularly difficult, you can even file the claim online.

Thank you for the advice. I really wouldn't want anyone else to have dealings like this with the dealer in question. However I feel that if we need to go to court to fight for the money back it wouldn't do me any favours to have slated them on here.

Well you've not given your name, or any details of the car in question so it's hardly like you're standing in front of the dealership chasing customers away.

Most other people would have taken to Facebook or looked them up on Google and slated them, leaving their full name in the process.

Posts removed as Naming and Shaming is not allowed on this forum. Also posts suggesting that the OP do this have been removed.