Whiteley Wood Grange, Sheffield

When did that happen? It had an international reputation .... Has anything similar replaced it?
The clinic closed many years ago; I seem to recall a date of 1981. This was perhaps part of the abandonment of "institutions" and the expansion of "carein the community"..:|

---------- Post added 17-06-2013 at 17:38 ----------

Hi again hillsbro, as echo beach says the gateposts are at the junction of Armthorpe and Hangingwater, and lead to the first of the 'new' houses...
Many thanks boyfriday and echo beach. This is rather embarrassing... By an odd series of coincidences, Mrs hillsbro and I (a) are at our Sheffield home for a couple of days, (b) had lunch with my sister Valerie and her husband Ian at the Crosspool Tavern (we went there by bus as I've never driven a car in my life, Mrs hillsbro doesn't like driving in Sheffield and we have our bus passes.:)) and © were invited back to their Dore home for coffee and dessert with Val and Ian. And - you guessed it - our route took us along Hangingwater Road, so I was able to see the gatepost as Ian drove past the end of Armthorpe Road. I had guessed that this was the location of the entrance to Whiteley Wood Grange, as directories place it there, and I wondered if the one gate post visible in the Google Earth photo is that of the Grange, but in the photo the inscription is covered by flowers.

Carr Bank Lane, Armthorpe Road, Bramwith Road etc. are not mentioned in census returns prior to 1901, and so I imagine the area was built-up sometime between 1891 and 1901. In the 1891 census the location of Whiteley Wood Grange is given simply as "Carr Bank" which I think must have been the name of the locality, with the lane being named after it when it the area was built up.

Edited by hillsbro

The clinic closed many years ago; I seem to recall a date of 1981. This was perhaps part of the abandonment of "institutions" and the expansion of "carein the community"..:|

---------- Post added 17-06-2013 at 17:38 ----------

Many thanks boyfriday and echo beach. This is rather embarrassing... By an odd series of coincidences, Mrs hillsbro and I (a) are at our Sheffield home for a couple of days, (b) had lunch with my sister Valerie and her husband Ian at the Crosspool Tavern (we went there by bus as I've never driven a car in my life, Mrs hillsbro doesn't like driving in Sheffield and we have our bus passes.:)) and © were invited back to their Dore home for coffee and dessert with Val and Ian. And - you guessed it - our route took us along Hangingwater Road, so I was able to see the gatepost as Ian drove past the end of Armthorpe Road. I had guessed that this was the location of the entrance to Whiteley Wood Grange, as directories place it there, and I wondered if the one gate post visible in the Google Earth photo is that of the Grange, but in the photo the inscription is covered by flowers.

Carr Bank Lane, Armthorpe Road, Bramwith Road etc. are not mentioned in census returns prior to 1901, and so I imagine the area was built-up sometime between 1891 and 1901. In the 1891 census the location of Whiteley Wood Grange is given simply as "Carr Bank" which I think must have been the name of the locality, with the lane being named after it when it the area was built up.

..you just couldn't resist a drive by Hillsbro! :hihi:

Interesting links to the KES site. I was in the same form as Frank Baldock who, last time I heard of him, was working for the Sheffield Telegraph as a reporter. Now he has a big wine business in USA. I remember the pavilion at Whitely Woods well. Most of the football was played at Castle Dyke which wasn't much fun in a wet, cold midwinters day. Happy times.

On 29th July 1864, Charles Thompson announced he would run a commodious omnibus on

the Broomhill and Ranmoor route. The route started at the New Market Hall and proceeded

up Fargate, Barkers Pool, Devonshire St., and Division St. thence the usual route.

In 1869 he announced an excursion omnibus to Baslow every Wednesday and to Ashopton Inn every Thursday, in the summer only. Tickets - Single 1s 6d, double 2s 6d.

He also supplied mourning coaches, funeral omnibuses, hearses, wedding equipages and

waggonettes. Sheffield Daily Telegraph.

When he retired in 1873 he sold 110 horses and about 20 vehicles.

I recognize that it's a bit off the topic of the thread but I have to say that Whiteley Wood Clinic provided an entirely different kind of psychiatric care than is available via the community care model. It served both in patients and out patients and was a refreshing move away from the Victorian institutional model epitomized by Middlewood and thousands of other similar institutions across the globe.

Community care, which is also the path trodden over here, is designed to cater to the needs of psychiatric patients who have been discharged from a facility. A kind of "half way house." It has had mixed success over here, often resulting in people who are ill equipped to function in society being left high and dry. WWC provided quality care to people, mostly at the mild end of the mental illness spectrum, who could be kept under observation and treatment adjusted on an ongoing basis. When I moved to Canada in 1969, my GP had heard of the solid reputation of WWC. The head of the clinic, Prof. Stengel, was a world authority on teenage suicide.

Yes, I have been a patient at WWC so I know of what I speak. There's no shame in having been afflicted by psychiatric illness. It saddens me that it has gone. I suspect the real reason for its demise and replacement by the community care model is the same as over here - money.

Maybe WWC deserves a thread of its own. Not that we can do anything about it.

Edited by soft ayperth

On 29th July 1864, Charles Thompson announced he would run a commodious omnibus onthe Broomhill and Ranmoor route. The route started at the New Market Hall and proceeded

up Fargate, Barkers Pool, Devonshire St., and Division St. thence the usual route. In 1869 he announced an excursion omnibus to Baslow every Wednesday and to Ashopton Inn every Thursday, in the summer only. Tickets - Single 1s 6d, double 2s 6d. He also supplied mourning coaches, funeral omnibuses, hearses, wedding equipages and waggonettes. Sheffield Daily Telegraph. When he retired in 1873 he sold 110 horses and about 20 vehicles.

Very interesting; many thanks for this.

I wonder why it was that Whiteley Wood Grange was demolished 50+ years ago. It can't have been much more than 80 years old, and so it would have needed a great deal of neglect to become uninhabitable. Perhaps it was somehow hard to sell and the land was so valuable that it was simply bought up and redeveloped.

I recognize that it's a bit off the topic of the thread but I have to say that Whiteley Wood Clinic provided an entirely different kind of psychiatric care than is available via the community care model...
It certainly did, and as you say the clinic had very high standards. The care I received there in 1967 (exam blues, anxiety etc.) was second to none, and I am still in touch with Dr Garrioch Sedman - 80 this month - a fine clinician. Professor Stengel was indeed an expert on teenage suicide and wrote many papers on the subject. However good "care in the community" might be, I ca't help thinking that something has been lost.

This may be off subject but didn't the 'Wild Man of the Woods' Samuel Plimsoll live in Whitely Woods?

This may be off subject but didn't the 'Wild Man of the Woods' Samuel Plimsoll live in Whitely Woods?
Yes - at Whiteley Wood Hall, which at century earlier had been the home of Thomas Boulsover, of Old Sheffield Plate fame.

Very interesting; many thanks for this.

I wonder why it was that Whiteley Wood Grange was demolished 50+ years ago. It can't have been much more than 80 years old, and so it would have needed a great deal of neglect to become uninhabitable. Perhaps it was somehow hard to sell and the land was so valuable that it was simply bought up and redeveloped. It certainly did, and as you say the clinic had very high standards. The care I received there in 1967 (exam blues, anxiety etc.) was second to none, and I am still in touch with Dr Garrioch Sedman - 80 this month - a fine clinician. Professor Stengel was indeed an expert on teenage suicide and wrote many papers on the subject. However good "care in the community" might be, I ca't help thinking that something has been lost.

I also saw Dr. Sedman.

Thanks again Hillsboro for the info about the home of Samuel Plimsoll.

I didn't know the name of the place sand just thought it might be Whitely Wood Grange.

After failing to become an MP in Sheffield he finally became a MP for one of the Derby constituencies.

He became the brunt of many lampoons and was referred to as the 'Wild Man of the Woods'

Happy Days! PopT

Whiteley Wood Grange, Sheffield.

It was during the summer of 1972, when I was sat patiently as a patient, waiting in the waiting room at the Doc's. The doc's was the surgery on White Lane, Gleadless Townend. The surgery was directly next door to Dobson's television shop which was next door to the Midland bank which was next door to Styan's bread and bun bakery shop.

At that time the Doctor's surgery was ran by Doctors Whitaker, Smith, Mathews, Porteous and Crowther. Dr Mathews was the doctor I generally dealt with. On that summer's day in 1972, he called me into his surgette. I had gone to see him because I had become somewhat bamboozled by red blotches covering the length of my lean body, front and back. The amiable short shirt sleeved Dr Mathews left the room to summon Dr Smith. Moments later, they both came into the room, looked at the blotches then spoke about roseola and other stuff. They were totally baffled by my Spotty Muldoon appearance, and asked me if the blotches were causing me discomfort.I told them the rash was itchless, but my vanity was badly damaged. After the doctors had had a short confab, the stern, pinstripe suited Dr Smith cleared off. Dr Mathews then wrote out a short letter for me to take immediately to the Royal Hospital on Westfield Terrace/West Street in town.

At the hospital, i showed the letter to a cute mini-skirted receptionist with a generous mouth. She then gave to me directions to a room alongst a few corridors, where i was to ask for a dermatological dermatologist named Dr Sneddon. Having reached the room, I showed Dr Mathews' letter to another cute receptionist, this time with thin lips,who was seated behind a walnut wooden desk, making it impossible for me to ascertain, whether she was also mini beskirted. Having read the letter she invited me to take a seat. I sat down in a red upholstered archair with pine wooden arms.

After a wait of about 10 minutes, an unattractive lady aged approximately 40 winters, also arrived in the room, and took a seat, possibly also in red. Immediately after having sat down, the plain looking lady offered a friendly smile to my face, then she smiled with a look of recognition to the receptionist. The receptionist returned the smile, then said, " Hello dr Sneddon". I was somewhat confused by this, and wondered whether I was in a Monty Python or a Candid camera type sketch. Having taken a few moments to gather my thoughts, I asked Dr Sneddon if she was the dermatological dermatologist [i had come to see]. After a short attempted girlish laugh, she said, " No, no, that's my bed partner [husband], "I am a doctor of psychiatry [or psychology]". I then presumed she had come to visit her bloke.

A few minutes later, having become bored listening to the receptionist's typewriter rattling away, i asked Dr Sneddon if she was always busy in this [big] hospital. Her response was to tell me, that she did her work at Whiteley Wood clinic, but many of her patients she initially met here at the Royal. I presumed she meant people who may of been off their trolleys.

I told Dr Sneddon that I had heard of Middlewood Hospital [from school; Thart a nutter thee, thar belongs locked up in Middlewood]. She then told me she also knew Middlewood Hospital, but her clinic was in an affluent area of Sheffield, with big gardens, rosebeds and rolling lawns etc. She continued in quite a voluble way, making me feel tempted to go and have a look at the place. I resisted the temptation though.

Towards the end of our conversation, I was left with the impression that Whiteley Wood clinic, was a better class of puzzle factory than Middlewood Hospital was.

Then the Dr Sneddon I had come to see, appeared in the doorway.

Greetings from padded cell number 5.

Ps. I feel honoured to have been on the same thread as Boyfriday and Hillsbro. 2 great posters. I so enjoy reading all their posts, when those big men here with bushy black beards, wearing long white smocks, loosen my straps. I do so wish they would learn how to put my straightjacket on strait. Ugh.

The mention of Charles Thompson Coach Propietor jolted my memory of my family who lived on Pinstone Street opposite the new Town Hall.

Where Maplins shop is today was a large archway which led into Reuben Thompson's Yard who was a very successful Coach Proprietor.

My family often spoke about the business.

Does anyone know if he was any relation to Charles Thompson of Whiteley Woods?

Happy Days! PopT