What happened to More Hall?

Hi there history buffs.

I'm curious about the whereabouts of and / or what happened to More Hall. I assume it was somewhere in the vicinity of the reservoir, perhaps beneath the water? I read an aricle on the Wantley Dragon - a local legend - which mentioned a family which lived at the hall in medieval times, who had a spat with the Wortley family. The family was connected to Thomas More, Henry VIII's advisor.

However, More Hall itself doesn't seem to exist now and I can't see any reference to it on the internet. Anyone know anything?

Thanks.

It was up for sale about 10 years ago so it's still there.

Thanks for the link - I see it is on the map.

Is it More Hall that was for sale 10 years ago, or More Hall Farm. Or are they the same place......I will see what the Stocksbridge site has to say.

There are some nice pictures of More Hall on that website. Looks like the farm and the hall are located together. Interesting website all round, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I cycled past More Hall Reservoir today for the first time in years and was :o at how the low the water level is. How long has it been like this?

There are some nice pictures of More Hall on that website. Looks like the farm and the hall are located together. Interesting website all round, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

thanks Olive happy to help, my dad has a lot to do with the history society I am sure if you have any more specific questions about the area and More Hall the people at the society would be more than happy to help you, and they have regular meetings at Stocksbridge Library.

xx

I used to keep my horses at the More Hall farm and More Hall does exist it sits just in front of the farm. It was bought by a couple from London i believe about 10+yrs ago. The original drive off the main road from bolsterstone was blocked off and is now very over grown but If you drive on the bottom road towards the reservoir its on your right hand side. I think a guy bought the field just in front of it and built a yard so it might not be that easy to see now -i havent been there for around 7yrs.

There's a bit about this in the walking book called 'Across the Derbyshire Moors'. Mine dates from 1924 but it was reprinted regularly for years after that. It says that there hasn't been a More of More Hall since the time of Edward VI (i.e. the 1550's) and it also says the house overlooks the reservoir and is a private residence.

More Hall is still standing (just).

I've been today to quote for some roof repairs.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but was just looking for the history of the place.

Its in need of plenty of TLC.