The Dempsey's Megathread

Just been chatting to one of my friends who saw Corrina (one of the Dempseys) door staff in Xs the other night and she said that Dempseys is closing down because they can't compete with Fuel.

Apparently the past few weeks the place has been deserted.

If this is true, it is a little bit sad had lots of good night outs in there.

Maybe if they'd paid more attention to what their customers were saying before now, rather than having the attitude that they 'had us over a barrell' they would be in a better position.

I've had some laughs there, but I won't miss it.

Sheffield will only ever have one club, there arn't the numbers to support two.

I know people said that people will travel to Sheffield but TBH if you lived nearer to Leeds or Manchester would you bother to come to Sheffield ?

Yes, Dumpsys has us "over a barrel", but they were the only club, they called the shots, as did Planet when it was open. When you have no competition you can do what you want.

I agree with you Kristian they thought they had us over a barrell, like nowhere else to go, but thats not the case now is it.

I see Nick2 is as cheerful and positive as ever, LOL :P

I wonder how long it will be before Xes closes.

Originally posted by peter41

I agree with you Kristian they thought they had us over a barrell, like nowhere else to go, but thats not the case now is it.

When Dumpsys closes it will be.

Originally posted by nick2

When Dumpsys closes it will be.

There's still Xes, and if we really do find ourselves limited to one Gay club in the city centre, I'm glad it's one that's going about things properly.

I'm not being deliberately negative, it's just that in the last 20 years I've seen a few clubs/pubs/bars come and go in Sheffield and the pattern is always the same.

I'm not being deliberately negative, it's just that in the last 20 years I've seen a few clubs come and go in Sheffield and the pattern is always the same.

Patterns are like rules, they are made to be broken lol!:hihi:

Originally posted by skyfitsboy

Patterns are like rules, they are made to be broken lol!:hihi:

But it's not being broken :(

Hang on isnt Dempseys a proud member of "I Can Survive A Nuclear Holocaust Society"?!:D

I'll be the first person to put my hand up and say Dempseys is a flea pit (I wouldn't put my hand up upstairs though incase it stuck to the ceiling) but once it's gone and Xs has gone (which it will I think) where is your choice of places to go ?

Sheffield is realy weird in that it's gay scene seems to be limited to one pub and one club at any one time. As soon as something new opens everyone flocks there and the previous places, starved of customers shut down (it doesn't take long to go under when you rely on weekend customers mainly), and the whole cycle starts again.

Manchester (and Leeds to a lesser extent) have enough people out drinking to keep the "old" places going until the initial excitement about a new bar has worn off so they stay open and are still there waiting for you once you're bored with the new place.

I'll be the first person to put my hand up and say Dempseys is a flea pit (I wouldn't put my hand up upstairs though incase it stuck to the ceiling) but once it's gone and Xs has gone (which it will I think) where is your choice of places to go ?

Sheffield is realy weird in that it's gay scene seems to be limited to one pub and one club at any one time. As soon as something new opens everyone flocks there and the previous places, starved of customers shut down (it doesn't take long to go under when you rely on weekend customers mainly), and the whole cycle starts again.

Manchester (and Leeds to a lesser extent) have enough people out drinking to keep the "old" places going until the initial excitement about a new bar has worn off so they stay open and are still there waiting for you once you're bored with the new place.

Sheffield has had two gay clubs (Dumpseys & Xs) for years now, so that proves your theory is wrong and for a start Xs caters for the post 2am crowd, I doubt its losing any of its custom to Fuel.