Brewdog bar coming to Sheffield ?

Brewdog have applied for a premises licence for the former Starbucks unit on Division Street.

Brewdog bars serve their own and guest craft beers on keg and bottle and are generally very expensive.

http://www.brewdog.com/bars

Brewdog have applied for a premises licence for the former Starbucks unit on Division Street.

Brewdog bars serve their own and guest craft beers on keg and bottle and are generally very expensive.

http://www.brewdog.com/bars

They are no more expensive than the tap and with the selection of the tap getting increasingly poor in terms of choice and quality I for one will welcome it. It all depends what you like I only used to drink cask ale where as now tend to mainly drink keg and bottled ale when I do revert back to cask ales I find most do not match up in terms of flavour. This has nothing to do with it being on cask but that most breweries who are producing more exciting beers favour cask and bottle. I can't remeber the last time I saw a Magic Rock or Summet Wine beer on cask. There are exceptions to this the Angel of Death and Accomplice I had at the 3 valleys were superb and both on cask. I hope that Brew Dog will introduce some competition and make the tap up their game anf give us more choice. On another note the old Starbucks isnt that big so expect big queues at the bar!

I love their beers, but I won't pay £4.50 for a pint of Punk IPA when I can get Jaipur for £3.00.

Still, it's good that there will be another craft beer bar in Sheffield for those who can afford it.

Regards

Doom

crikey its not very big for a bar,great location though.

Brewdog bars are always a little on the small side. But the addition to Sheffields craft beer scene will be welcome. Might force the Tap to get their act back in order.

I went to the one in Edinburgh.

Can't say I was impressed. It was OK if you don't mind paying £4 for a third or a half of something mega strong but when I go out I like a few pints but couldn't given the strengths of the beers that were on that night.

As long as there is choice, both in terms of price and strength then that will be great.

I've been to most of em. I dont really go to Brewdog for a few pints. I go for something special on a run around town. The location fits perfectly between the pint swigging Dev Green area and Dada so will get a regular call from me. If it goes ahead.

I went to the one in Edinburgh.

Can't say I was impressed. It was OK if you don't mind paying £4 for a third or a half of something mega strong but when I go out I like a few pints but couldn't given the strengths of the beers that were on that night.

As long as there is choice, both in terms of price and strength then that will be great.

I was seriously unimpressed when I visited the Brewdog bar in Camden. To be honest I was expecting sky high prices. What I wasn't expecting was idiotic barstaff making all sorts of exaggerated (not to mention untrue) claims about Brewdog & their beers. Combine this with Brewdog's video blog playing on an endless loop above the bar and you end up with the distinct impression that it's more about corporate brainwashing then good beer.

Which is a shame as Brewdog do make some good beer. However, it's not just about the beer with Brewdog. And that's a great shame when James Watt's desperate cravings for attention come to overshadow the beer.

If you want to see how a keg only bar should be done then my advice would be to pay a visit to the Norwich Tap House rather then a Brewdog bar.

I was seriously unimpressed when I visited the Brewdog bar in Camden. To be honest I was expecting sky high prices. What I wasn't expecting was idiotic barstaff making all sorts of exaggerated (not to mention untrue) claims about Brewdog & their beers. Combine this with Brewdog's video blog playing on an endless loop above the bar and you end up with the distinct impression that it's more about corporate brainwashing then good beer.

Which is a shame as Brewdog do make some good beer. However, it's not just about the beer with Brewdog. And that's a great shame when James Watt's desperate cravings for attention come to overshadow the beer.

If you want to see how a keg only bar should be done then my advice would be to pay a visit to the Norwich Tap House rather then a Brewdog bar.

The Edinburgh one was very "grungy" and resembled a student squat. The pizzas looked good but it wasn't really what we were after. The beer was great, but I'd have appreciated one or two at a reasonable strength. As it was we just had the one then went elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see what their Sheffield outlet looks like and who it will be aimed at. Students seem to have a lot less money in their pockets nowadays and many of them don't even drink :o

At the same time a lot of discerning drinkers want a bit more than spit and sawdust surroundings, old wooden crates to sit on and pizza.

But all in all I think it will be a bonus for Sheffield. Anything that provides more choice in pub/bars/beer and less Starbucks can't be bad. Besides, we are blessed in Sheffield with a whole range of different pubs so if one doesn't tick your boxes there will be others that do.

I've been to most of em. I dont really go to Brewdog for a few pints. I go for something special on a run around town. The location fits perfectly between the pint swigging Dev Green area and Dada so will get a regular call from me. If it goes ahead.
I agree with all this.

I see it as a chance to sample some of the monster beers from Oregon & California. I don't mind paying 4 quid for a third of a pint of something rare (to these shores) and really good. I think their other bars even do the occasional Alesmith?

Wouldn't use it as a session place and I will probably only use it in the afternoon/weekdays because I can see it being a hell-hole on weekend nights.

But all in all I think it will be a bonus for Sheffield. Anything that provides more choice in pub/bars/beer and less Starbucks can't be bad. Besides, we are blessed in Sheffield with a whole range of different pubs so if one doesn't tick your boxes there will be others that do.

Very true. Even if I might have gripes with Brewdog there's plenty of other places doing craft beer very well that I don't have those gripes with.

you never know, Brewdog might even pay some tax!

I agree with most of the posts - choice is good, but I'd only ever drop in for a single glass of something I really want to try, I'd never use it as a venue for a night out.

Their bars are very chingy, especially when you factor in the 2/3 of a pint swindle ('sometimes a pint is too much of a big beer' - yes Mr Watt, that's why beer is also sold in halves!).

someone mentioned the staff - in the two I've been to (Camden and Shoreditch) the staff are not so much trained as indoctrinated... they spout the company line about all the beers being really innovative (some are, some aren't) but couldn't actually describe them. As for the customers, both bars were populated by utter w****rs (I believe they prefer to be called hipsters, but it ain't gonna happen!)