The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Not so in the Referendum: it was a 'Remain'/'Leave' choice.

and whichever happens, the government and big business wins :suspect:

I've said a million times (not quite) if brexit ends up bad, its us at the bottom, the masses that will suffer, the government / rich / big business sure as hell wont. Like somebody else said, Rees Mogg et al will make money out of brexit.

Exactly. And then you have people like Car Boot who think that a vote for Brexit is a vote against neo-liberalism. How easily they are played by the ultra-capitalists.

How easily the Remainers are played by the neo-liberal EU, which many of them imagine to be a safety net for the poor!

In reality It was the EU that forced Greece to cut its minimum wage for its lowest paid workers and cut pensions and benefits for those on the lowest incomes. The EU was aggressively pushing Italy's former compliant government to cut workers rights and wages, which is a big reason why that government is no longer in power.

Anybody who cares to read various EU Commission papers can discover that reducing workers wages and employment rights while at the same time lengthening working hours, and the privatisation of state assets for private profit is very much favoured by the EU.

Is this what Remainers voted to support in June 2016?

Anybody who cares to read various EU Commission papers can discover that reducing workers wages and employment rights while at the same time lengthening working hours, and the privatisation of state assets for private profit is very much favoured by the EU.

.. as usual, all evidence points in exactly the opposite direction :suspect:

.. as usual, all evidence points in exactly the opposite direction :suspect:

its amazing how he can twist things to suit LOL, its a real art

Anybody who cares to read various EU Commission papers can discover that reducing workers wages and employment rights while at the same time lengthening working hours

Funny how one of the big claims of the Leave campaign was that UK business would flourish once they were no longer shackled by EU protection for workers' rights and working time directives.

Are you seriously suggesting that UK workers' rights will be stronger in the hands of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg?

Really?

Why not?

We voted in the first election and no-one had the first idea what it all would mean.

but she's isn't sorting it out is she?? because Labour aren't in government.

---------- Post added 16-07-2018 at 14:59 ----------

Surely thats 60% still for Brexit (in general), so the winner go's to either hard or soft depending on which got more votes.

In the 2016 referendum we were asked to choose leave or remain that's all. The advocates for a second say that the question should be hard, soft, Stay, But has she said nobody can adequately explain what soft or hard means so she won't vote until the politicians can work it out then explain it to us.

Edited by hobinfoot

The EEC is the EU. It was renamed the European Community and incorporated into the EU in 1993 (when duty free ended!).

That will be the same year the Maastricht Treaty came into force. It was only after the Maastricht Treaty was signed when Nigel Farage founded UKIP. It was after the Maastricht Treaty was signed that the big differences within the Tory party regarding the EU started. There was no referendum vote regarding the Maastricht Treaty.

There was no referendum vote regarding the Maastricht Treaty.

It was signed by John Major, I believe, who was Prime Minister of a government that was elected by the British people.

That's how we roll here. If you don't like it, vote them out next time.

It was signed by John Major, I believe, who was Prime Minister of a government that was elected by the British people.

That's how we roll here. If you don't like it, vote them out next time.

They were voted out the next time after it came into being. I don't think any future Government could unsign the Maastricht Treaty. The only option is to leave the EU for a county no longer wishing to follow the Maastrict Treaty, which was the reason why UKIP was formed.

They were voted out the next time after it came into being.

Oh really?

The Maastricht Treaty was signed in Feb 1992 and Major was re-elected two months later in April 1992.

Nobody gave a monkeys apart from a few cranks on the far right of the Conservative Party.

Major didn't go until five years later not because of Maastricht, but because people had had enough of 18 years of Tory rule.

How easily the Remainers are played by the neo-liberal EU, which many of them imagine to be a safety net for the poor!

In reality It was the EU that forced Greece to cut its minimum wage for its lowest paid workers and cut pensions and benefits for those on the lowest incomes. The EU was aggressively pushing Italy's former compliant government to cut workers rights and wages, which is a big reason why that government is no longer in power.

Is this what Remainers voted to support in June 2016?

I don't disagree. I think it's clear that the EU was designed to primarily meet the interests of the capitalist class. If the referendum had been called under a Corbyn government I probably would have voted leave, because I'd be fairly confident of getting an alternative that worked better for workers. But to vote for Gove and Johnson's Brexit seems insane to me, it means more neo-liberalism, not less. My overall view on it is that in or out, workers will lose. But I think we lose more if we go out in the current reality and to me that looks painfully obvious.

Oh really?

The Maastricht Treaty was signed in Feb 1992 and Major was re-elected two months later in April 1992.

Nobody gave a monkeys apart from a few cranks on the far right of the Conservative Party.

Major didn't go until five years later not because of Maastricht, but because people had had enough of 18 years of Tory rule.

You really should read posts more carefully. I clearly stated after the Maastricht Treaty came in to being. It wasn't until 1993 the Maastricht came in to effect and the next UK General Election was 1997. You even mentioned the year 1993 in your own post, which I quoted. It is well documented that John Mayor's EU policy was a contributing factor in his downfall.