Cultural appropriation, a complete non-issue?

Is cultural appropriation even a thing?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is cultural appropriation even a thing?

• Yes, it's justified to call people out for it
    • No, not really it's fine to emulate other cultures
    • Other (please explain in post)

That's OK. It seems that USA football ['soccer' to them] is mostly a female activity.

Interesting though on an associated theme, the backlash surrounding Scarlett Johansson portraying a transgender man in a film has pressured her in to quitting the role.

Is it therefore appropriate that only straight actors should play straight roles etc :suspect::huh::confused:

Interesting though on an associated theme, the backlash surrounding Scarlett Johansson portraying a transgender man in a film has pressured her in to quitting the role.

Is it therefore appropriate that only straight actors should play straight roles etc :suspect::huh::confused:

I find it sad that people can't just think of themselves as 'human being' and leave it there. We seem forever categorising ourselves (and so seeing ourselves as different from everyone else) and then getting all precious about whatever category we happen to be in. I don't know, maybe I'm being over simplistic, but why can't we all just be 'human', accept each other, and stop getting our knickers in a twist.

The term is becoming more and more popular in news and social media, with more and more people being accused of it, but does it really deserve the demonisation it's getting?

The most common use seems to be against celebrities who wear clothing and fashion accessories originating from or influenced by other cultures, supposedly not knowing or understanding their origins. As long as there's no justified offence caused (i.e, wearing a swastika covered dress because you like the pattern), then what's actually so bad?

Another example is the ever popular male Caucasian students' hair option of wearing dreadlocks. My personal opinion is that it looks ridiculous, but should it cause offence?

I can very much see the point of the cries of cultural appropriation when it comes to dreadlocks and plaits. Businesses in the US still have dress rules that forbid natural black hairstyles, leading to those who wish to wear their hair curly, afro, cornrowed or in locks losing their jobs.

In such an environment, where one race sets the rules and bans all of the natural appearance of another, how galling is it when the fashion for dreads comes in and white people are allowed to wear their hair in that way when those for whom the style actually has a meaning, are not?

For 'I prefer that dress with a stand up collar' situations like the child who was attacked for wearing a Chinese-style dress, that's just ridiculously oversensitive though.

Does black women straightening their hair and dying it blonde count as cultural appropriation?

Guest makapaka
Does black women straightening their hair and dying it blonde count as cultural appropriation?

No - not does the other examples. It’s complete twaddle.

This one is a bit weird isn't it. The entire point of acting is to portray someone and something you aren't. So straight/gay/trans actors and actresses should be able to play trans/straight/gay roles without reference to their own predilections.

This one is a bit weird isn't it. The entire point of acting is to portray someone and something you aren't. So straight/gay/trans actors and actresses should be able to play trans/straight/gay roles without reference to their own predilections.

I agree.

Though it's not a new issue.

I seem to remember an outcry many years ago when Vanessa Redgrave was due to play a character in a play about Anne Frank, because of her support for the Palestinian cause.

Also, it applies to whether it is OK for a white actor to black up and play Othello.

That's OK. It seems that USA football ['soccer' to them] is mostly a female activity.

Meanwhile rounders traditionally a girls school game here is played by men in padded clobber in America.

Might seem that way to you, but you are not unknown for getting things wrong.

That's a bit more obviously odd IMO, it would be equally odd for a female to play a male role, they simply don't look the part, but you can't see if someone is trans or gay.

Is it therefore appropriate that only straight actors should play straight roles etc

It's all very odd. Do only convicted murderers get to play murderers? Can a married person depict an unmarried person?