Moving to Sheffield - Advice

Think of Sheffield as a clock face with the hands at Ten to Eight.

The smaller area between the hands is the good bit - The rest is variable ;)

That seems a bit too tight to be honest. I'd say quarter to six would be more realistic. Essentially, the south-west. I'd certainly rather live in the parts of the clock face between 6 and 8 than those between 9 and 10...

That seems a bit too tight to be honest. I'd say quarter to six would be more realistic. Essentially, the south-west. I'd certainly rather live in the parts of the clock face between 6 and 8 than those between 9 and 10...

I was taking 9 as being the A57.

If 6 is the A61 south I suppose you are pretty much right, too.

Its almost a Is Stannington/Loxley better than Greenhill type question ;)

So you've excluded areas like High Bradfield, Oughtibridge, Wadsley, Worral, Grenoside and so on, with the very restrictive South-West only.

And we still have no idea of the OPs budget, so are basically unable to help anyway.

Do you have other criteria that would help narrow it down?

It depends a lot on your budget, the type of accomodation you like to live in and so on.

SW of the city and you can't go wrong but there are plenty of other nice bits. I would say that the housing stock in Sheffield is generally poor. Lots of small houses with small rooms and little to no insulation. Head to Crosspool and you can spend over £300,000 on a semi that is 100m². The area is nice, you can have your garage, albeit probably too small to fit a car in it or already converted into extra living space, you will get your garden too, and great schools, plus nearby parks that are well maintained. Also you will have a 5 to 15min walk to the countryside (peak District side) yet you will only be 25 mins walk to the city centre. It is where most of our friends move when they get there second child.

If you want a larger house then look elsewhere, Hillsborough is alright. Definitely nicer than lots of areas, nice park but lots of traffic. Mearsbrook and Heeley are up and coming and both walkable to town. Plenty of places further out but the further out you go the worse your commute, especially if you are driving. Driving times tend to half during school holidays.

If you want a larger house then look elsewhere, Hillsborough is alright. Definitely nicer than lots of areas, nice park but lots of traffic. Mearsbrook and Heeley are up and coming and both walkable to town. Plenty of places further out but the further out you go the worse your commute, especially if you are driving. Driving times tend to half during school holidays.

How long is a place "up and coming" before it can be said that it's "arrived"? Meersbrook has been up and coming for years and now you won't get much change from £350k for a 4-bed Victorian semi or £200k for a 3-bed terrace in decent condition. Definitely agree you can still get a bit of a bargain in Heeley though - but it's not as nice as Meersbrook.

South of Sheffield is generally nicer than the north, but areas such as Hillsborough in the north are okay. I guess it really depends on your budget, and where you have previously lived as to what you think different areas are like.