Broadband speed

virgin offering 200mbps ,as they say free now if your laptop wifi card does not do these speeds is it worth having the 200mbps on 100mbps at the moment,

tried a speed test today on laptop was 44mbps,put in a usb wireless dongle which is dual band 150 to 300 mbps and got 75 mbps,

on the wired pc the speed is good which we know is better than wifi,

so would you get these 200mbps that virgin offer on a wireless laptop or could you upgrade your wireless card,as said tried a usb dongle which was easier.

I’m on the 200mb package and on my latest iPad over WiFi I got 224mbs download and 12.5mbs upload speeds.

On my iphone 5 I got 81mbs download and 12.1mbs upload speeds so I think it matters what device you are using too.

It's not all about the speed you get on a single device though, if there are multiple people in the home, and more than one person is using the internet at the same time, there's more 'speed' available to be shared by everyone...

instead of one person downloading a file and using all of it, there would be basically some left over for others to use...

But if your computer/laptop/tablet doesn't support wireless N, Unless it's over 5 years old, in which case i'd look at possibly replacing any way...

well i got my new hub 3 from virgin what they sent today,did all the setting up as you do,

connected wired ethernet up,ran a speed test was on 100 befor new hub to 200 mbps,

now only getting about 79 mbps on wired and 70 on laptop,and mainly there is only 1 computer on at any one time in the house, wish i never botherd not as if we do any downloading at all.

well i got my new hub 3 from virgin what they sent today,did all the setting up as you do,

connected wired ethernet up,ran a speed test was on 100 befor new hub to 200 mbps,

now only getting about 79 mbps on wired and 70 on laptop,and mainly there is only 1 computer on at any one time in the house, wish i never botherd not as if we do any downloading at all.

Doesn't it take a few days for new equipment to "settle" while it works out the fastest stable speed you can connect to?