Latest Sherlock Holmes adaptation - will you be watching?

There is a contemporary remake starting this Sunday on BBC staring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

I had initial reservations, I don't like my classics mucked about with but it's co-written by Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffat so it might be good.

I'll be settling down to it in my dressing gown, pipe and slipper.

Anyone else looking forward to / dreading it?

It seems more of a plundering than an adaptation, but then so were the Rathbone/Bruce films and they were enjoyable enough.

Buggering about with the essentials while claiming to be an adaptation of the source material is more discomforting: the writers of the recent 'Marple' (no 'Miss' for them!) series shuffled murderers and sleuths apparently at random.

Reboots and reimaginings sometimes give the impression of inferior - or perhaps just lazy - imaginations clutching onto the coattails of someone else's inspiration. Waste basket full of duff character studies? No problem! You can always reboot a classic.

Let's hope this one is more Batman Begins than Karate Kid.

I'll perhaps give it a try. Was flying back from abroad a couple of days ago and Guy Ritchie's 2009 version (with Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law), was the inflight movie. Characterisations so very different from Basil and Nigel but just as atmospheric, I thought. A ripping yarn to set before a captive audience.

Looks set to be quite good actually. Won't be in the traditional style but if the guys can capture the essence of the Holmes/Watson relationship then it will be a huge success!

Not sure it will be one for the purists as it doesn't seem like it's going to be at all victorian and to a lot of people that is a fundamental part of the whole sherlock holmes thing but if you can approach it with an open mind then it could prove to be excellent.

I'm going to be watching and will atleast give it the benefit of an open mind :D

Looks interesting, i will be watching it.

There is a contemporary remake starting this Sunday on BBC staring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

I had initial reservations, I don't like my classics mucked about with but it's co-written by Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffat so it might be good.

I'll be settling down to it in my dressing gown, pipe and slipper.Anyone else looking forward to / dreading it?

Now I've presented you with a Sherlock Holmes hat, I hope you'll have that on too.:)

I'm a massive fan of the 80's Brett Sherlocks (as well as the books obv.). Normally I'd be denouncing this as the work of the devil, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to it, and have a sneaky suspicion it'll be quite good.

Now I've presented you with a Sherlock Holmes hat, I hope you'll have that on too.:)

I would have worn it out and about town last night but someone objected :hihi:

Yes, I'll be tuning in to watch it. I wasn't overly impressed with the R D. Junior blockbuster to be honest, so, not sure whether I'll get into this one. Iv'e always preferred the Rathbone & Bruce collaboration.

That was great fun, thoroughly enjoyable stuff!

That was great fun, thoroughly enjoyable stuff!

it was rather wasn't it :)

hopefully the rest of the series will be equally as good, if not better

It was very good, but when you look at the cast and the producers I'm not surprised it was so good.