Tapton grange children's home

I'm looking for former residents of Tapton Grange Children's Home around the time it was closed in 1963.:help:

i was at Tapton Grange from 1957-1963..i remember Helen Power,Trevor Baddely,Robin Wood,Guy Mitchell,Micheal Flanagan and many others..were you there then?

Rob

It's great to hear from you Rob and although I can't remember you at present, I did recognise some of the names. My brother Nick (Nicholas) and I arrived in 1961 aged 6 years and 8 years and I spent a lot of time with Helen Power who was a year older then me (9) I think. Helen had an older brother and sister called John and Sheila? Maureen was the name of Michael Flanagan's sister. I also remember the two youngest girls at Tapton were sisters Kay and Yasmin although I've got no surname. What age were you in 1961?

As, I think, there were no more than 20 of us at Tapton Grange up until its closure, I'm amazed that you saw this posting. Nice one Rob...

Looking forward to hearing back from you. All the best, Mel

mel

i do remember u because i was 9 in 1961 and i remember your brother too..i had three older brothers there as well...if i told you my surname you would probably remember us and i can remember your surname too but this is a public forum and i don't want to get too personal for everybody to see..my email is robertpecker@yahoo.co.uk..why don't you e me and we can reminisce about those years we spent there

Rob

My posts are never a real reflection on my state of mind at the time :D

Edited by Scrinthe

In the mid-fifties, I spent around 18 months in Tapton. My mother was in hospital with serious clinical depression. I was only three to four, and remember spending many lonely days as all the others were at school, but I feel I was always treated with kindness. I remember being given the odd square of raw jelly by the cook, and helping myself to the matron's cosmetics to decorate my face! I cannot remember her name, but she had a well rounded car my Dad told me was an Austin A40 Somerset. I also recall spending time in hospital, Fulwood, I think, when I caught measles; and the ride in the dark windowed ambulance to get there. Anyone else there at the time? It would be good to hear. Cheers! Jim

I was astounded to find this forum today when I was browsing online. I was at Tapton for 12 years. I recognise the names of the 2010 contributors and the names that Melanie remembers [except for one surname]. I also remember Jim[my] too.

I am going to Ranmoor next week to revisit.

It was good to read your posting, Lis, and your correction of my name from Jim to Jimmy. I was christened James, but have always been Jim, and often Jimmy when I was very young. My lovely Godmother still calls me Jimmy, which I find endearing. So long ago and so small was I that Tapton almost seems like a dream. Hearing from others there helps pin it securely back into reality. It would be wonderful to hear any anecdotes involving me!

What was the status of Tapton? My parents were both teachers, sadly now long dead, and l have a feeling the home was somehow connected with the profession or a union. They were both in the NUT in those days.

Look forward to hearing,

Cheers

Jim

I have just noticed this forum, I was at Tapton from 1955 aged 5 to 1961 aged 11, Peter Mason, my sister was also their for some of that time she is 7 years older than me Anne,Chris Mason I remember some  of the names mention above, other names I remember were the four Achilles brothers

I went to a reunion approx 20 years ago   and met some of the names mentioned.

Originally the boys were in a separate building called Sidenham House  that was sold to the University, then we moved into Tapton with the girls

Peter

Jimmy,

Sorry about the interval of time!! I did go to Sheffield in Oct 2018 and we stayed in an hotel that was next to where Tapton stood.

Today i had a phone call  from Liz T who was at Tapton in our time. She had seen your post recently,, from what I had replied to you in 2018 and she remembered you as a blond curly haired  happy little boy. She wondered whether the name Margie might strike any bells with you. She was one of the  children   here and  Liz told me she remembers her have a special affection for you and caring for you.

Edited by LisW
duplication of words

Peter, I was amazed, again, to see your post from last July when I looked at the forum . I remember you well  but particularly I knew and remember your sister, Chris [Anne] . You will see from the post to Jimmy that I had a conversation with Liz T who was the same age as your sister where as I am 2 years younger than them.  We were remembering the other people who were at Tapton in our time.  I would dearly love to know how Chris is and how you are and whether you have contacts with others who were there. I was having a conversation about Tapton earlier in the week with my brother Rob who has been doing a bit of searching about its history. He was the one who organised the first reunion.

I hope you see this.

I have just found this post from my brother.  I am Anne (Chris) Wilkie. I went with him to Sheffield 20 years ago and was disappointed you weren’t there Liz as we were good friends all those years ago.  A group of us went to the church in Ranmoor which was very emotional for me.  

it is another world and so long ago but At times like this it seems like yesterday. If you ever pick this up and would like to get in touch my EMail is annechristine.wilkie@sky .com  and my mobile number is 07708484840