Cockaynes department store, Angel St

Can any one help me with prewar memories of the staff or photos of the original store in Angel Street, which was bombed flat during the Sheffield blitz?

I am gathering material for a history of the store.

John Cockayne

Have you tried the Local Studies Library ? - there will be loads of newspaper cuttings..and I think there was a commemorative booklet produce on some anniversary or other.

Can't help with before the war as I was 3 when it started but as I was on my way to Infant School I would pass and play on the pile of rubble which was Cockaynes. I remember there were a few wells around there too, we would drop stones and listen for the splash.

But as a young women I used the store quite a bit. Very good store from which I bought clothes and my engagement ring from their second hand jewellry counter.

hazel

There are a few photos on the Local Studies Library website http://www.picturesheffield.com/.

I remember the firm from the 1960s/70s when it was still a family business. The Cockaynes (J.E. Cockayne and J.J. Cockayne, father and son) banked at the Midland Bank where I worked (now the Banker's Draft).

Edited by hillsbro

my gran worked there sellin stockings between 1966 to 72

I remember as a teenager doing the sandwhich run in the 60's, being sent to Cockaynes food dept for Kosher corned beef for a Jewish workmate.

I remember it as Schofields, and the cafe it had with the clocks on the wall.

Hi - I can't help with pre war but my first job was on Lingerie at Cockaynes.

I remember the hierarchy there. The buyer (Miss Marshall) was very revered and would never have to serve customers. There was a 'pecking order' in the department (Like on Are You Being Served) - Miss Peace was first sales and I as the junior was last. I spent most of my days tidying drawers of knickers and posh nighties but it was a good time. My friend Sandra worked on haberdashery - are you out there Sandra??

Ginger

I loved Cockanes basement well it was street level I think, anyhow it was the China dept, they use to have a big basket in the corner with there seconds in it, god what they considered seconds where perfect to me, couldn't fine a thing wrong with them,

My Mom and I use to get some lovely bargins out of that basket, the China sales they had were fantastic. :love:

Oh - the china department and the "seconds"... I am still using some superb "seconds" cups and saucers that I bought there in c. 1972. The china department was run by the matronly Mrs Wilson, and what she didn't know about china and crockery in general wasn't worth knowing. It was to Mrs Wilson I went when I slipped on the stairs at the bank where I worked (now the Banker's Draft) and dropped the tray with the manager's teapot - it duly smashed. Fortunately the Midland Bank could stand the loss, and a gleaming new Wedgwood teapot was soon pressed into service.

Memories....

Hi ginger, my mum worked in Cockaynes in the 1950's in the lingerie department. When were you there?

jacqui

Hi ginger, my mum worked in Cockaynes in the 1950's in the lingerie department. When were you there?

jacqui

Hi I was there 1966 - I was on Lingerie but the department also covered 'corsetry'. I know that some of the staff had been there for years and I am trying to remember some of the names - with old age and poverty creeping on I am struggling - I recall Janice and Mrs Gilliver? on corsets and with me ... I can see their faces..... but the names are not coming.. I will think a bit more

We used to use the 'tube' system for payments - very old fashioned the money and bills were dispatched down the vacuum tubes and the girls in the tube room would send change and receipts back.

I also remember we had 'floor managers' (Captain Peacocks) ours was Mr Proctor who if I recall had some connection with the furniture shop on Fargate. He walked around the place very quietly and was always very smart.

Ginger