Sheffield Smelting Co royds mill lane

Does anyone remember this firm in the early 50ties or worked there, I was on the maintenance side in those years.

hi arthur, I never worked for the Smelting company but I seem to recall fishing in their pond but can't for the life of me remember where it was. Can you help?

I knew a guy who worked there, - is it true they used to run a vacuum cleaner over you when you clocked off ? :D

I worked there for a whole 3 weeks once in one of my holidays.. they made you walk through a metal detector on the way out...

I worked there for 11 years from '73.Yes you did have to walk through a metal detector on the way out.You also had to empty out your pockets and put everything in a platic bag and put that on a conveyor belt.

hi arthur, I never worked for the Smelting company but I seem to recall fishing in their pond but can't for the life of me remember where it was. Can you help?

At Ford round the back of the pub [very handy]

I knew a guy who worked there, - is it true they used to run a vacuum cleaner over you when you clocked off ? :D
No but you was compensated for your working clothes when one done with them , we used to have great big barrels of [sweepings up ,]

from jewelry factories from all over the world, the precious metals was retrieved by electrolosis

I worked there for 11 years from '73.Yes you did have to walk through a metal detector on the way out.You also had to empty out your pockets and put everything in a platic bag and put that on a conveyor belt.

These things must have been introduced after I left in 1953

At Ford round the back of the pub [very handy]

cheers Arthur I remember it now. Some nice Carp but could be a little public due to walkers and as you say "the pub"

No but you was compensated for your working clothes when one done with them , we used to have great big barrels of [sweepings up ,]

from jewelry factories from all over the world, the precious metals was retrieved by electrolosis

Remember doing work for the Royal mint and other mints around the world also produced the gold for the medals at the Montreal olympics.Used to melt down gold teeth and stuffl ike that.

i worked there in the bonding mill around 1975 ish, anyone remember doggy fred with all the alsatians

just thought, it later became Thesco and then engelhards.still think its on the go..was on princess street