Internet Explorer upgrade, HELP!!

I started my laptop yesterday, and all of a sudden a new system appeared called Symbaloo, to say it is confusing is an understatement.

I'm not PC savvy, can I delete this system, how do I do it and if I do delete it will my laptop go back to it's original settings.

Any help for this old buffer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like somewhere along the line you have had an application installed to your system (extracted from Microsoft Windows App Store page):

"Symbaloo for Windows

With Symbaloo you surf with one click to all of your favorite websites.

Symbaloo is an easy to use app and best of all, it’s free. With Symbaloo you have all of your favorite websites at your fingertips, anywhere and always. Choose your favorite websites and within a few clicks you can create your very own homepage. With an account your favorites are available on any smartphone, PC, Mac, iPad and tablet. Wherever you go, you always have access to your favorite websites. Simple, easy and with one click you can go anywhere on the web!

Hundreds of thousands are already using Symbaloo as their homepage.

The main advantages of Symbaloo are:

• Never have to type in an address manually

• With one click you go anywhere on the web

• Add a new website with one click to your Symbaloo

• Never lose your favorite websites again

• Free and without advertising

Thousands of Symbaloo users have already made webmixes you can instantly use (a webmix is a collection of links about 1 topic). Just search for a topic and with the touch of a finger you can add them to your Symbaloo.

Download the app and see how easy surfing on the web becomes while using Symbaloo!"

Probably worth downloading malware bytes, install the free version and run it. Let it do a full scan and delete anything it finds. Chances are you've other stuff on there that is probably harmless but you didn't intend to install.

Perhaps try another browser as well?

Internet Explorer/Edge is horrendous.

Have a read here on how to uninstall symbaloo:

https://www.remove-search-hijackers.com/how-to-remove-symbaloo-com

As I said in my opening post I'm not computer savvy, if I use the automatic removal tool in the link you posted will my laptop revert to it's original settings?

Thanks for the link Mike.

Personally, I would carry-out a manual uninstall.

I have downloaded the removal tool with the intention of running it on my test machine, however it appears

to be a 'Front' for yet another third party security software, which may well uninstall Symbaloo but install

some other bloatware.

The manual uninstall instructions appear to be clear, so you should have no problem with it. If you are struggling

with them you need to get yourself an expert.

Finally I would, stop using IE, Microsoft are not updating it to support current browser technology.

I use Firefox, but I'm sure someone someone will jump in and say its rubbish and you should use 'My_Favourite_Browser'.

;)

Personally, I would carry-out a manual uninstall.

I have downloaded the removal tool with the intention of running it on my test machine, however it appears

to be a 'Front' for yet another third party security software, which may well uninstall Symbaloo but install

some other bloatware.

The manual uninstall instructions appear to be clear, so you should have no problem with it. If you are struggling

with them you need to get yourself an expert.

Finally I would, stop using IE, Microsoft are not updating it to support current browser technology.

I use Firefox, but I'm sure someone someone will jump in and say its rubbish and you should use 'My_Favourite_Browser'.

Firefox is great, but then it can also depend on other factors, not Mozilla's fault necessarily. For example, I discovered an excellent large cursor scheme for Zorin on gnome-look.org but Firefox loses the large icon ('focus') whereas Opera doesn't - it's horses for courses - and Firefox will play Netflix - other browsers need the Chromium shell script to work. :cool:

This might help the OP:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

But before doing ANYTHING - backup critical data that you can't do without.

Edited by swarfendor43

I'm going to sound a right hypocrite here, but after using Symbaloo for a few days I must admit I like it:o

the only thing that worries me is the security of the browser like when I check my bank balance(although I never bank on the net, just check the balance), is it safe to do so, if anyone else uses this system I would appreciate it if you could share any problems you may have had.

Cheers in advance, and thanks to all who replied your help is much appreciated to this old buffer !!!!

As it's something that it seems nobody has actually heard of without Googling it, I personally wouldn't trust it

Update.

Switching off my laptop yesterday and as you all know the update tab showed.

I updated. restarted and low and behold, I'm back to all my original settings, Symbaloo has gone.

I mentioned this to a friend last night who is very PC savvy, he told me that he had read recently Symbaloo was a Microsoft app they installed, but they have had that many complaints they decided to stop it in it's tracks.

Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, normality has returned to this old duffer.

I'm on the W10 Windows Insider Program, I have never seen Symbaloo in any of the advanced releases, nor nave I seen Symbaloo mentioned on M$ Insider Blogs.

It just seem strange that M$ would actively promote the product.

A couple of searches of 'The Register' & 'ZNet' for Micorsoft and Symbaloo found nothing, which doesn't mean the sites haven't written about the complaints

but I just can't find reference to it. So if you can ask your PC savvy friend for a link then we all can have a look.

At the time of writing Symbaloo is available from the Microsoft Store.