Searching for the last chapter of a hero’s story

I have been trying to find out more about the wartime fighter ace Raymond Harries. His life and achievements are fairly well documented. He was certainly a brave and extraordinary man, credited with shooting down 15 Nazi aircraft in the late stages of the war, including three Me 109s in a single day, and two of the formidable FW190s, again in a single day.

What’s eluded me so far are the circumstances surrounding his death. It is known that he was killed on 14May1950when his Gloster Meteor jet ran out of fuel and crashed near Sheffield. He apparently died after bailing out when his parachute became entangled on the aircraft’s tailplane. But as to where this happened, I have drawn a complete blank. Anyone any idea.?

Have you considered joining Pprune ?

If you post your question on the Military Aviation section almost certainly someone will be able to point you to the Accident Report/Board of Enquiry finding etc - there are some extremely well informed aviation folk on that forum.

If that is the incident that happened in the Hackenthorpe/Beighton area, then there are articles on Sheffield Forum about it...somewhere.

Have you read: "Well-Known Fighter Pilot killed". The Times. 16 May 1950?

I have been trying to find out more about the wartime fighter ace Raymond Harries. His life and achievements are fairly well documented. He was certainly a brave and extraordinary man, credited with shooting down 15 Nazi aircraft in the late stages of the war, including three Me 109s in a single day, and two of the formidable FW190s, again in a single day.

What’s eluded me so far are the circumstances surrounding his death. It is known that he was killed on 14May1950when his Gloster Meteor jet ran out of fuel and crashed near Sheffield. He apparently died after bailing out when his parachute became entangled on the aircraft’s tailplane. But as to where this happened, I have drawn a complete blank. Anyone any idea.?

There were a few fatal Meteor crashes that happened around the Sheffield area in the 50s. One was near Treeton pit, but I think that was later than 1950. I always remember my Grandad, who worked at Treeton pit, telling me about it, when he came home from work, as I lived with my Grandparents at that time.

Thank you all for your suggestions and contributions, particularly to hillsbro for the source material and Ontarian for flagging up the fact that there was more than one such instance of a Meteor crashing.

Indeed, in another incident in 1955, a young pilot was killed after his aircraft came down near Holmesfield. This crash however is well-documented and there is even a small memorial on the site.

Given Sq Ldr Harries' stature as a fighter pilot it is perhaps surprising there isn't more material about.

But at least the mystery of the crash location has been solved. Thank you again

There were a few fatal Meteor crashes that happened around the Sheffield area in the 50s. One was near Treeton pit, but I think that was later than 1950. I always remember my Grandad, who worked at Treeton pit, telling me about it, when he came home from work, as I lived with my Grandparents at that time.

This was 1953, on the pit tip, pilot was called Edwards. We renamed the walk over the now grassed tip "Edwards Meteor Way"

430Spider

There were over 400 pilots killed flying Meteors.

You’ve presumably looked at the 92 Squadron website which gives an account of the loss of their boss. They may have further info as well.

An article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 18 May 1950 states that he crashed

at Todwick, near Sheffield.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 7 June 1950. Resumed inquest. The coroners court was held at Swallownest and a member of the R.A.F. witnessed the crash.

I've got a screenshot of the 1950 article mentioned above and also a brief report of his marriage to Doreen Parson in 1947, if they're of interest please let me know.