Latest Sherlock Holmes adaptation - will you be watching?

The media mogul Magnussen maybe a truly loathsome slime-ball of a man but Arthur Conan Doyle's Holmes would never have killed him

in such a manner. And where are the original documents he is using to blackmail people?

The writers of Sherlock ( Gatiss/ Moffat/ Thompson ) seem to have taken the odd bone from the skeleton of Arthur Conan Doyle's creation

and come up with a 'Many Worlds Interpretation' of Sherlock where anything is possible. Thus we now have central characters who die

and are brought back to life, supporting characters who have histories that could support a tv series in their own right, with situations

and events not fully explained. Probably in the next series Lestrade will be revealed as a sleeper agent for some despotic foreign power

or Moriarty's right-hand man.

Mrs Hudson's exotic dancing ( view before it gets pulled )

Edited by Mikes10

Just re-watched a Scandal in Belgravia.

By far and away the best of the recent Sherlocks but also one of the best pieces of television I have ever seen. So many stunning set pieces during the 90 minutes plus a final 10 minutes that is just perfect.

Just how awful was that last episode of Sherlock? It was surely written to accommodate the very small amount of time they must have had with Cumberbatch. Best description of it on Twitter: this episode of The Crystal Maze would've been better with Richard O'Brien.

But at least I was sort of right about Moriarty:

As for Moriarty... I won't be convinced at all that he's back until I see him walking and talking in the flesh. A little beyond the grave messing with Sherlock, planned before his demise and carried out by a minion, wouldn't be at all out of character. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that someone else has resurrected a digital Moriarty for their own nefarious ends.

Guest sibon

It was shocking. I moaned all the way through it, but apparently it wasn't as dull as the England v India match earlier today. According to my biased family.

Thought is was great fun. Full of subtle references to the original stories and a crazy plot to keep you hooked to the end. Tied up lots of loose ends and gave the distinct impression that this was the last we'll see of Cumberbatch's Holmes. Shame - he's been superb. I preferred the first two seasons but a triumph throughout.

If I never have to see another vision of that gurning, inept, incredulous Moriarty then I'll be happy.

It was a bit pants though.

If I hadn't already lost it at the spectacle of Holmes and Watson getting blown out of the first floor windows by a bloody great bomb, then reappearing in the next scene without even a plaster or bit of a bandage, I certainly would have been howling at the screen after being told that not only had Holmes forgotten that he had a psychopathic sister who murdered the best friend that he'd also forgotten about and replaced with a dog, but that said sister could escape from Azkaban by overpowering the army or psychiatrists, guards and sundry attendants using a [removed] MIND CONTROL SUPERPOWER, only to be forgiven and redeemed by the power of love and a nice hug.

I should have endured the ad breaks on ITV and watched Endeavour.

If I never have to see another vision of that gurning, inept, incredulous Moriarty then I'll be happy. ...

He's grown on me. The Queen bit was one of the few amusing scenes. The character was wasted, and very annoying, for the rest of the time though.

If I never have to see another vision of that gurning, inept, incredulous Moriarty then I'll be happy.

It was a bit pants though.

I thought his cameo as he got out the helicopter stole the (at best mediocre) show. Episode 1 I enjoyed immensely, two was ok (at least we touched on the drug addiction bit) - although that was starting to morph into The Librarians. Three was a bit dull, self indulgent although at least the hobbit playing Watson upped his game a bit, and far fetched. I also watched elementary inbetween 2 and 3 - Johnny Lee Miller is a better Holmes even if the show isn't as well produced.

This is not Sherlock. Sherlock, at least one from the books is something completely different in every way.

The original TV series from 80 s is closest adaptation

of Arthur Conan Doyle stories which I read as a kid.

This is some strange mix of Bond crossed with Matrix and Bourne. It would be watchable under a different name.