Best real ale pubs in Chesterfield

york house has a great range

Nice pub but far too expensive . Here's my list , Royal Oak ,Shambles, Portland Hotel ( yes I know its Wetherspoons buts its OK) , Chesterfield Arms like someone said a bit far out, White Swan . Brampton has a few real ale pubs, Rose and Crown, Tramway, Brampton Ale House, Junction not open yet but will be a craft ale house on Chatsworth Road. The ones I don't recommended are the Spa Lane Vaults, Sun Inn or the Crown and Cushion.

York House is the old Abacus pub on St.Mary' s Gate . Expect to pay nearly five pounds as pint I went in the other week and saw the price list I can not afford it, the pub markets itself as a ' artisan' food outlet. Market pub is alright but not the most comfortable pubs to use also their is the Rutland on Stephenson Place . Burlington is OK but more family eating place than everything . The Crooked Spire pub could be a great pub but at present is very run down no real ale shame .

The Rose & Crown by the football ground has been taken over by the people behind The Dronfield Arms and renamed "The Spirite". Good outdoor area, plenty of Hopjacker beers, I'm glad it wasn't a matchday when I visited but it's not too bad.

Guest makapaka

What is the "Brampton mile" like? A lad I went to uni with used to talk about it but I'm going back 15years so don't know if all pubs are still going etx

What is the "Brampton mile" like? A lad I went to uni with used to talk about it but I'm going back 15years so don't know if all pubs are still going etx

Red Lion closed, Royal Oak real ale, Junction going to be a craft pub not open yet, Prince of Wales is now called Maison's, Brampton Mile bar closed, Anchor now a free house , Barrel still going opens only at night, Grouse still open ,Alma up for sale , Brampton Ale House open plans to demolish it in the pipeline, Peacock still open ,Star still open, Terminus Hotel demolished Britannia still open ,Victoria opens at night, Rose and Crown open I think that's them all.

Guest makapaka
Red Lion closed, Royal Oak real ale, Junction going to be a craft pub not open yet, Prince of Wales is now called Maison's, Brampton Mile bar closed, Anchor now a free house , Barrel still going opens only at night, Grouse still open ,Alma up for sale , Brampton Ale House open plans to demolish it in the pipeline, Peacock still open ,Star still open, Terminus Hotel demolished Britannia still open ,Victoria opens at night, Rose and Crown open I think that's them all.

Thanks.

Would you recommend it for a night out then?

Thanks.

Would you recommend it for a night out then?

Its safer than the town centre at night but don't expect real ale in every pub though.

Guest makapaka
Its safer than the town centre at night but don't expect real ale in every pub though.

Thanks for reply.

I'm not bothered about whether or not there's real ale on or not,more if it's a good night out in so far as friendly, lively pubs etc?

The Gate Inn at Troway ... real ales, log fires, no jukebox or fruit machines.

The Gate Inn at Troway ... real ales, log fires, no jukebox or fruit machines.

The last time I went in there it had been taken over by Burtonwood Brewery, who are to brewing what I am to space travel.

Do they still have their awful beers or have they moved on to something half-decent?

I agree it's a cosy little pub. I am from that area and spent many enjoyable days on long summer walks which culminated in the beer garden of that little pub - back in the days when it was a Mansfield tied house.

Crooked Spire pub , Church Way, Chesterfield has closed and been boarded up this afternoon.

The last time I went in there it had been taken over by Burtonwood Brewery, who are to brewing what I am to space travel.

Do they still have their awful beers or have they moved on to something half-decent?

I agree it's a cosy little pub. I am from that area and spent many enjoyable days on long summer walks which culminated in the beer garden of that little pub - back in the days when it was a Mansfield tied house.

Gladly Burtonwood and Jennings are dead in the water at the Gate Inn. These days it is Black Sheep and a guest ale. Don't worry, the Mansfield days are not spoken of now and best left in the past!