UK Sovereign Wealth Fund

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45539270

It is depressingly surprising that we do not have one. So I am in favour of the Lib Dems proposing one. The way to raise the money for it seems fair. The only issue is that it isn’t large enough. £100bn is very small in comparison to Norway’s. Especially given Norway’s population size.

Another Labour plan that's been hijacked and claimed as their own by another party.

People know very little about Labour's policies, by design. I urge people to find out for themselves.

Another Labour plan that's been hijacked and claimed as their own by another party.

People know very little about Labour's policies, by design. I urge people to find out for themselves.

Maybe they should design them better then.

Soverign funds are nothing new - both the main parties have been flirting with the ideas for a long time, way before Jezza got into the driving seat.

Labour came up with sovereign wealth funds? Norway’s fund was first established in 1967.

Also your assertion is completely wrong that Labour had the idea of the U.K. having such a fund. Labour made its intention for wealth fund in 2015 if it was in power.

The coalition government in 2012 already touted the idea for the Treasury to implement. For whatever reason, it never did. But for you to imply it is a Labour only idea is just wrong.

Edited by ez8004

Those Corbyn blinkers sure are powerful..

Maybe they should design them better then.

Soverign funds are nothing new - both the main parties have been flirting with the ideas for a long time, way before Jezza got into the driving seat.

Maybe they should get more airtime/media exposure to explain them.

But no, positive media coverage about anything to do with Labour is verboten by the Establishment.

When did you last hear anything positive in the mainstream media? It's not because there is nothing positive to report, it's pure insidious media bias.

But no, positive media coverage about anything to do with Labour is verboten by the Establishment.

When did you last hear anything positive in the mainstream media? It's not because there is nothing positive to report, it's pure insidious media bias.

So there were no articles in the paper when Labour mentioned a sovereign wealth fund?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-will-set-up-a-british-sovereign-wealth-fund-to-make-direct-state-investments-a6670201.html

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/sep/30/crown-estate-sovereign-weath-fund-labour

Ironic claim in a thread about the LibDems. Maybe Labour should stop infighting and arguing every five seconds and use the ample airtime afforded to them appropriately.

Let's begin by actually having a plan for Brexit in place.

So.

What do people think about the idea of such a fund?

It would be relatively easy to set up, maybe by a one off property tax. It could be transformational for our society.

Personally, I don’t care who thought of the idea, I’m more interested in how to establish such a fund and what to use it for.

So.

It would be relatively easy to set up, maybe by a one off property tax. It could be transformational for our society.

Personally, I don’t care who thought of the idea, I’m more interested in how to establish such a fund and what to use it for.

I'm against it, I don't see why the government should tax us more so that it can then redistribute that tax pay in a way they deem more fair. If the political system in this country wasn't so binary I'd support it, but knowing that the fund will be zapped as soon as Tories come into power, then bumbled around with as soon as Labour come into power and so on, and so on...

So.

I don't think the people in charge are capable of managing it.

It'd be too tempting and would get pillaged at the first opportunity, mostly to fund large vanity projects or backstop some giant white elephant mess.

We can't be trusted with it.

I don't think the people in charge are capable of managing it.

It'd be too tempting and would get pillaged at the first opportunity, mostly to fund large vanity projects or backstop some giant white elephant mess.

We can't be trusted with it.

Totally agree with that.