HMRC tax rebate scams

Only a few days ago I received a letter from HMRC informing me that I'd overpaid tax. I followed their advice via their genuine website to complete and print out a refund form.

Today, yes Sunday, I've just received what is obviously a scam e-mail purporting to be from HMRC informing me that I'm owed a tax refund.

I haven't opened any attachments, have forwarded it to HMRC's phishing department and then deleted it.

I'm not computer literate so it's bugging me - is it pure coincidence that the scam e-mail followed on so quickly from my genuine dealings with HMRC or can someone, somewhere, somehow know about them?

As a self-employed person, I pay income tax twice a year.

One payment to be made by 31 January, and a second payment to be made by 31 July.

See the table on the following link for more info: https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/self-employment/what-dates-are-important-self-employment

So, yes, scammers are more likely to target people late January and July of each year.

I've lost count of the number of scam tax refund emails I've received over the years.

I received one of these by e-mail, it took the format of a P60. The e-mail informed me that I was owed a substantial amount of over payed tax and requested the following.

National Insurance Number

Address

DOB

Bank account details

Credit card details

Now firstly, the three things that HMRC don’t need to know is you NHI Number, your address, and your DOB, they have these on record. Secondly they never request your bank account details, they either send you a cheque or adjust your coding. Thirdly, what has my credit card got to do with them? Last but not least, how did they know my e-mail address, I didn’t give it to them?

I googled HMRC’s web site, located their fraud section and forwarded the e-mail to them, I received confirmation that it was indeed a scam and that they were looking into it.

I received one several weeks ago I just looked on the .gov website for the fraud email/phishing address and forwarded it onto them.

If you receive an email from what appears to be a legitimate source but still have doubts, you can try to "forward" the email. When you do that, you can see the real email address that the email has come from.

For example, I have received spam emails from what appeared to be "payments@paypal.com" but when I clicked on the "forward" button, I could see it was actually

payments@paypal.com<spammer@xyz.com>

So the "payments@paypal.com" was just a name for the spammer's email address, and not his actual email address.

If you receive an email from what appears to be a legitimate source but still have doubts, you can try to "forward" the email. When you do that, you can see the real email address that the email has come from.

For example, I have received spam emails from what appeared to be "payments@paypal.com" but when I clicked on the "forward" button, I could see it was actually

payments@paypal.com<spammer@xyz.com>

So the "payments@paypal.com" was just a name for the spammer's email address, and not his actual email address.

Useful information, cheers.

Just to inform everyone. after extensive research, HMRC will NEVER email, NEVER text nor phone anyone. Their only mode of communication is by letter. They will address you by your name and provide your details.

Just to inform everyone. after extensive research, HMRC will NEVER email, NEVER text nor phone anyone. Their only mode of communication is by letter. They will address you by your name and provide your details.

yes they do text occasionally with access codes and sometimes to say they have received documents or forms.

AND they do send-out VAT Returns reminders by e-mails; I received one (yes, a real one) today.

Sorry folk but I did contact them and that is the response I got.

Sorry folk but I did contact them and that is the response I got.

That is exactly what they told me, and how do they contact you by e-mail or mobile number if you haven’t supplied them, many folk don’t have land lines these days?