What is equality to you?

Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Brought about by the BBC Editor who has quit saying that she didn't want a pay rise just equality.

So if you're an editor and Fred is an editor - that makes you equal doesn't it.

You're paid less and they offer to increase your pay appropriately - but you state "i don't want more money" - i want equality.

I'm at a loss what she does want and why her case she be part of the gender pay gap issue.

“I was interested in equality and I kept saying to my managers that I didn’t need more money, I just needed to be made equal and that can be done in a variety of ways.”

I don't know the case in detail (other than it being mentioned on the news), but I can understand the principle behind what she said.

It's an issue of fairness, and her employers being compliant with the law. Also she personally might not need the money, but given that there may be staff at the BBC and elsewhere, on much lower wages, who do need the money; then it's good that she can speak out.

But she hasn't drawn attention to any other way she isn't equal?

I can understand that a payrise 'cos she has an issue can seem insulting, it would to me, but surely take the money and continue with the battle.

Possibly, and I don't know this, but she may have felt she had to quit her job. Perhaps by going public about something like this, would cause tension between her, and her managers and governors at the BBC.

Although she is not the only woman at the BBC who is paid significantly less than her male colleagues for doing the same jobs, by going public on an issue like this working relationships may be strained.

EDIT - Just read this article which explains her rational for leaving: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/08/senior-bbc-women-revolt-equal-pay-carrie-gracie-quits-revealed/

Edited by Mister M

Because suggesting a pay increase out of tax payers money would be inappropriate and cause the wrong kind of publicity. Suggesting equality, meaning cut the mens money down to that of the woman, making it equal.

Another one who apparently has issues is Gabby Logan - prompted by the footie on BBC2- why should she have parity with Linneker(for instance).

I bet Chapman isn't on the same as Linneker, so why can't she aim for parity with Chappers or Manish ?

---------- Post added 08-01-2018 at 19:07 ----------

Because suggesting a pay increase out of tax payers money would be inappropriate and cause the wrong kind of publicity. Suggesting equality, meaning cut the mens money down to that of the woman, making it equal.

That is a fabulous idea as many are grossly overpaid - i hadn't thought of that sort of equality.

Exactly that.

As some one who has worked in heavy industry as well as leisure and entertainment I am beginning to believe due to the recent debate , protests and demonstrations over the last year or so that I am a complete moron simply by being male.

Every time I pick up a news paper ,turn on the radio or watch the news on T.V. it seems as though my very gender is under attack due to the latest sexual misdeeds ,pay disparity or vocal abuse carried out by the heads of industry and entertainment on women.

Historically the casting couch has always existed in Hollywood from the 1920's to the present day ,it has been as much a part of that industry as all the sleaze magazines that have gone hand in hand with publicizing all the behind scenes sexual goings on in the film industry.

My point is why has this suddenly become the biggest topic over the last 12 months why have not the big stars from Garbo to Streep shouted it to the roof tops before now ,why have the sleaze bag directors .actors (not actresses what happened to them?) and producers not been sacked and shamed before now as we all know what was going on over many years ,why now ,why not twenty or thirty years ago or perhaps was the system accepted by all inc many who made it to the top regardless of whatever favors involved.

Today we have another major news story where a BBC. correspondent to China has complained that her salary of £135,000 is behind the one awarded to the correspondent to the war zone of the middle east £155,000 who in turn finds his behind the bloke who covers America £200.000. are all these jobs comparable should we ask is one more dangerous than the other and so on ,or should all three be on the £135,000 saving us license payers money.

When I worked in heavy industry would it have been fair if I had to do all the heavy lifting with all the risk of injury or danger involved while a college who was say less able to do the same job was on the same pay .

That situation can be reversed in many situations where the weaker sex or college can perform a job that many men who are used to manual work would find hard or impossible to perform ,in that case would it be fair for them to be paid the same rate of pay.

All this recent gender debate fascinates me and I can see how upsetting it is for all concerned ,but is it new or as my mam used to say ,'' Thill never be equality ont shop floor as long as women have the babys''.

Why should a woman have to have sex with a man so she can get a job? That's what this boils down to.

Should a man be prepared to have sex with his male boss just so he can get a job?

I'm at a loss what she does want and why her case she be part of the gender pay gap issue.

A pay cut for the men? Don't we, and the BBC, have AUSTERITY?

No such thing as equality i am afraid,the elite will always be the winners while the rest of us will be the losers.Its not what you know its who you know in this world,you just have to try and do the best you can.

The following is from the BBC website:

"Ms Gracie told Radio 4's Woman's Hour the BBC had offered to raise her annual salary to £180,000, but she did not see that as a solution and there would still have been "a big gap between myself and my male peers".

Asked whether those male workers should receive a pay cut, Ms Gracie said: "I believe in public service broadcasting and I do think salaries at the top are unacceptably high... but I don't have the information to say this needs to happen or that should happen."

She added: "I could not go back to China and collude knowingly in what I consider to be unlawful pay discrimination. I could not do it, nor could I stay silent and watch the BBC perpetuate a failing pay structure by discriminating against women."

If she's a senior correspondent, why shouldn't she have pay parity with senior US correspondent / Editor, Jon Sopel, she's doing the same job, just in another part of the world & I'm guessing being the BBC's China Editor, her language skills will be far greater than Sopels?

Similarly, why doesn't Jeremy Bowen have parity with Sopel for reporting from some of the most dangerous places on the planet?