Money shortage at schools

Heard some of them can not afford school books.

Current government has little respect for younger generations. There is a gap.

Me too - in my daughters school.

What they don't disclose is that the money allocated to the department that was in need of the books spent it by giving all pupils FREE writing equipment whenever they needed them.

They've now introduced a 10p charge for pens per pupil to address the issue.

Nothing to do with any Government but school administration choices.

---------- Post added 22-09-2018 at 14:05 ----------

Rubbish, I know someone who works at a school and at the end of term she offered me leftover text books because they were no longer needed. I asked why couldn't they be used next term but apparently they have to have used all their budget and then start a fresh budget in the new September term.

In my day they would have been kept in the cupboard for the following terms, waste not want not. There's just as much waste goes on in schools as in the NHS.

Could be.

Yet every year for the past five years i've contributed hundreds of rulers and pens to a Rotherham school to help my daughters classes.

Me too - in my daughters school.

What they don't disclose is that the money allocated to the department that was in need of the books spent it by giving all pupils FREE writing equipment whenever they needed them.

They've now introduced a 10p charge for pens per pupil to address the issue.

So they should. I really must be missing something here.

When I was going to school back in the early 90s I used to TAKE the basics like pens, pencils, rulers, compass, calculator, note books.

School trips and outside school activities all had a charge. My mum used to give me a cheque each Monday morning to pay for the school dinners. Every Easter and Christmas my parents would contribute to the collections/bake sales/charity drives.

The School would be running bi annual fundraising galas, sponsored challenges or events to pay for say a new mini bus, computers or infrastructure.

What I seem to read now is people moaning that such are not provided and horror of horror they have to PAY for their own children's resources. Instead of taking a good look at themsleves its just all the Government's fault init.

Children are a financial burden and a great responsibility. Always was and always will be that way. Some parents need to realise that.

Do we really have a school funding crisis or do we have parents unreasonably expecting the state to provide all and everything? Do we really have schools so destitute that they cannot afford books or is it just financial incompetence by their heads and administrators?

Edited by ECCOnoob

When I was going to school back in the early 90s I used to TAKE the basics like pens, pencils, rulers, compass, calculator, note books.

School trips and outside school activities all had a charge. My mum used to give me a cheque each Monday morning to pay for the school dinners. Every Easter and Christmas my parents would contribute to the collections/bake sales/charity drives.

The School would be running bi annual fundraising galas, sponsored challenges or events to pay for say a new mini bus, computers or infrastructure.

What I seem to read now is people moaning that such are not provided and horror of horror they have to PAY for their own children's resources. Instead of taking a good look at themsleves its just all the Government's fault init.

Children are a financial burden and a great responsibility. Always was and always will be that way. Some parents need to realise that.

Do we really have a school funding crisis or do we have parents unreasonably expecting the state to provide all and everything? Do we really have schools so destitute that they cannot afford books or is it just financial incompetence by their heads and administrators?

Things must have changed a bit in the decade since I left school in the early 80's, I always went with a rubber as well!

These are unused exercise books, clean and unwritten on but they are going to good use, my grandkids do their homework in them.

I blame the teachers for being wasteful and throwing them out so to have new the following term.

So they are not text books they are exercise books- makes a big difference.

As they are school property you should return them and save the school money and prevent further waste. The school can then find out who is "giving away" their property.

Two of my grandchildren go to a small rural primary. They hold various fund raising activities, run by the PTA. We went to the village fete last week, the school had a cake stall, a barbecue, and were selling tea and coffee. Proceeds to the school. I suppose a lot depends on how involved parents are.

Two of my grandchildren go to a small rural primary. They hold various fund raising activities, run by the PTA. We went to the village fete last week, the school had a cake stall, a barbecue, and were selling tea and coffee. Proceeds to the school. I suppose a lot depends on how involved parents are.

Schools should be adequately funded by Government, PTA funding is just a small percentage, but it should make parents feel good about their local school.

Re text books: Apart from general wear and tear, loss, damage etc. text books go out of date quite quickly. Just as an example geography books - borders change, countries change names, facts and figures change all the time. Also the curriculum changes ffrequently (too frequently...) and new books have to be bought.

Funding also changes massively from place to place. I believe kids in Sheffield receive only half the funding per head as some areas down south.

Teacher's often provide materials etc out of their own pocket.

I worked in the education sector for over a decade and the waste by the staff was beyond belief! From leaving projectors and interactive whiteboards on all day to printing everything just for the sake of it. It won't fund anything major but if the staff just used a bit more common sense, a few more quid would get saved that could be put to better use.

My comment names just two, I could list many more ways they used to waste money and resources. I don't doubt for a moment that money is tight to start with but the teachers and support staff need to take a step back and look at how they do things.