Cycle Lane past station

Car drivers can't slow down to safely overtake for a few seconds, but you expect cyclists to dismount and walk.

Car drivers can't slow down to safely overtake for a few seconds, but you expect cyclists to dismount and walk.

It might be the best way to avoid causing an accident.

That makes it a very sensible thing to do. It is only 100 yards, after all.

I'm a motorists as well, duh, and when driving I find it possible to overtake safely. And a pedestrian, and when walking I find it possible to avoid walking in dedicated cycle lanes, or indeed the road.

Is cycling permitted on the Granville Street footway outside the station (tram side)?

There are no signs at either end (on the Shrewsbury Road footway or the A61 ramp or on Park Square walkways) or signs on Granville Street indicating a shared or divided path.

Posts consisting of personal comments and digs have been removed.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to that then please dont post.

Thank you.

Problem is it's not well signposted for pedestrians and doesn't make much sense in the way it's designed.

If anyone is wondering it's opposite the Sheffield tap up to the showroom far side from the station. The path has two colours of brick red that is intended for cycling, and the cream stone for walking.

I didn't know it was a cycling lane, can see from Google maps that if you follow the path towards ponds forge there are some blue circular signs that show the use. But they lack conspicuity.

I say it's badly designed because there are two junctions where the cyclist would naturally need to stop, those being where the footpath links to the crossing. Clearly where there is a pedestrian crossing, they have right of way.

I think the original gripe was that people weren't observing it all the way up the hill. And that may be so, but I don't think that they can be blamed. It looks nothing like any other cycle lane I've come across in the city.

I think the original gripe was that people weren't observing it all the way up the hill. And that may be so, but I don't think that they can be blamed. It looks nothing like any other cycle lane I've come across in the city.

The one in front of Decathlon, also the one that goes up the side of Office World (toward Moorfoot), are both similarly ambiguous

I just ride with a bit more care as I weave through the pedestrians who are walking in both the cycle lane and the foot path. its not difficult.

Well at least you admit riding illegally on the footpath ... I wonder.. do you also ride illegally on pedestrian precincts?

"Footways are paths alongside roads set aside for pedestrians and it is an offence to cycle along them."

And at last a victory for commonsense

"Cyclist fined £351 for riding in pedestrian precinct - Cycling Weekly"

There is it seems some attempt to protect pedestrians from these irresponsible, selfish and doubtless uninsured riders on their pedal bikes where they are not wanted, and not allowed.

Well at least you admit riding illegally on the footpath ... I wonder.. do you also ride illegally on pedestrian precincts?

"Footways are paths alongside roads set aside for pedestrians and it is an offence to cycle along them."

And at last a victory for commonsense

"Cyclist fined £351 for riding in pedestrian precinct - Cycling Weekly"

There is it seems some attempt to protect pedestrians from these irresponsible, selfish and doubtless uninsured riders on their pedal bikes where they are not wanted, and not allowed.

If only the Law was a simple as that. Barkers Pool for example? The route up the pavement in front of the Bankers Draft? Both entirely legal to cycle on.

If you're going to quote bits of the highway code

Under the Highways Act 1835, s.72, it is an offence willfully to ride or drive on the footway, even though the driving may last only for a few seconds (McArthur v Jack 1950 S.C.(J.) 29). The offence will also apply to pedal and motorcyclists.

Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 is used in the current Highway Code.

Rule 145. You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.

So you have to ask how did all those cars parked on the pavement manage to get there without breaking rule 145? Giant crane lift them on maybe?

I just ride with a bit more care as I weave through the pedestrians who are walking in both the cycle lane and the foot path. its not difficult.

How am I riding illegally when I'm cycling in a cycle lane, and avoiding the pedestrians who are walking in it? I don't understand you.

How am I riding illegally when I'm cycling in a cycle lane, and avoiding the pedestrians who are walking in it? I don't understand you.

"Rule 145. You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency."

it is not that difficult to understand.

"Rule 145. You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency."

it is not that difficult to understand.

That's not quite correct:

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.