Learning chess??

Anyone know face to face place to learn chess...female friendly....not online!!

The YMCA used to have a chess club which was female and child friendly. Don't know if they still do.

Plenty of chess clubs in and around Sheffield, take your pick!

http://sheffieldchess.btck.co.uk/Clubs

Pity there isn't anywhere in Sheffield to just play chess socially / informally; like a cafe, or even outside in the summer.

Plenty of chess clubs in and around Sheffield, take your pick!

http://sheffieldchess.btck.co.uk/Clubs

Pity there isn't anywhere in Sheffield to just play chess socially / informally; like a cafe, or even outside in the summer.

I'm with you on that one. Would love an opportunity to play a human, as opposed to an app, again! Wonder if maybe there's a fairly central pub would be interested in trying this on a quiet evening. Nice glass of wine and a sociable game........result!

That's a nice idea actually. I went through a bit of a phase of playing chess regularly at one time, but I haven't played it for years. I think the thing that put me off is it takes a lot of thought and concentration to do it well and it can take hours for a game.

I'd rather play something like backgammon, which still involves the need for a bit of strategic and tactical thinking, but is more quick-fire and the fortunes of the players can change rapidly, making it much more exciting.

Better still, I'd rather just have a conversation over a glass of wine and be female friendly.:)

Chess need not take hours, if you use a chess clock it can last as long as you want. Speed chess can actually be quite fun.

Chess need not take hours, if you use a chess clock it can last as long as you want. Speed chess can actually be quite fun.

I played a few games of Blitz tonight, 5 minutes per player; what a blast! A really enjoyable and fun way to play. Sure, you don't get so much deep thought; but I imagine it really helps develop your instinct for the game.