Hunters Bar School

Now here's a long shot. Probably not relevant to most readers, but your parents...?? Going through my dad's photos (he died recently) I found a lovely class photograph. Hunters Bar School, May Day, 1934. All I know about the picture, is that the May Queen was Helen Calister, and my father (Derek Mason) is seated in the centre. Anyway, I've posted the picture on Friends Reunited Group Photos site for Hunters Bar Junior School. If anyone is on it, has a parent on it.. send me a pm with your email and will email over a higher resolution scan of the piccie. RH

A long shot as this thread is now VERY old!

But is the original poster still around? We have the original of a photograph at the school, which we have been trying to date for a little while. It was actually posted today on our Facebook page. I was wondering if it was indeed the same photograph??

We have the original of a photograph taken at the school, which we have been trying to date for a little while.

We posted it on our school FB and Twitter pages today:

Facebook - @HBISInf

Twitter: @HBInfants

An old post on here sounds like a possibility - May Day, 1934.

But can anyone confirm this, or suggest any other information that might help us date the photograph?

We do have some additional archive documents and photographs which we are also working though, including the original Headteacher logs and old registers. We would love to hear form any past students from he school with their memories.

Thank you.

Edited by HBIS2018

Hi,

Thanks for the reply re: Hunter's Bar.

If you PM me your email I will send over the image I have, which is dated.

Thank you so much

---------- Post added 19-03-2018 at 18:09 ----------

It will be very interested to see if this is the same image, and if so it will be great to finally date our own photograph.

I lived at 139 Neil Road Hunters Bar from 1954 - 1959 our next door neighbours was Mrs Flo Shipston she worked at the Chip Shop in Sharrow Vale Road Mr & Mrs Sherwood , I had a Saturday job with Walter Sharp in the Fruit and Vegetable Shop , a Real Treat would be buying a Chocolate Eclair from Mrs Shaw in the old fashioned Bakery Shop , I went to Hunters Bar School Mr Taylor with his cricket bat if you were caught talking in class, my dad would send me for a block of ice cream to the lollipopery Mr Green at the Pet Food Shop Mr & Mrs Heath at the corner shop  Pat Heath their daughter was my first girlfriend then Mr Elms TV Shop and they had a daughter called Jacky I remember snogging with her in the stock room behind the shop , Mr Holmes The Cycle Shop all the lads used to congregate there with their bikes , I joined the Church Lads Brigade with Michael Bentley and another friend was Michael Wright he was always fooling around in class at school and we all went on to Silverdale School at Bents Green 

On 13/03/2015 at 02:41, billiej said:

Has anybody any memories of Hunters Bar school in around 1953-54? Particularly Mr Williams[Taffy] class in the annex?Names remembered are Ian Kirkwood, Rexy Simmons,Derek Duckworth, the Cousins twins and Rodney Emmett.

I was there from 1952 to 1957, i remember most of the teachers and a Peter Dungworth (bungo)