Centertainment end building

Afternoon all!

Yesterday evening we wen't to Paradise Golf at Centertainment (which I highly recomend by the way! :) ) for my brother's birthday.

But while in there, it got me thinking of the history of the place. As a kid I remember that complex being home to Club WOW and Brannigans. Naturally I never went in as by the time I turned 18, it had been developed into the resturaunts and attractions it has today.

I'm just really curious of what it used to be like in there, which parts of the buildings were used for what etc. Has anyone got any stories, pictures or descriptions of what it was like back then?

it's funny to think that where kids now play golf, jump around and fire lasers at eachother, used to be bars and a nightclub. :gag:

I saw Howard Jones at Brannigans. It was a really big Pub/Restaurant/Disco/Cabaret Bar. Freezing cold in the winter.

I went to club Wow a few times. Vague recollections of the arse end of brit pop style, what I remember reminds me of the girlie show, which I guess won’t mean anything to you. I remember kind of multi level dance floors and a kind of lack lustre cartoony vibe. There were dance podiums or cages I think and apparently on Saturdays there were naked women dancing in/on them.

I think the organisation became Kingdom Nightclub in the city centre across from John Lewis. I went in there a few times as well, the thought of it still makes me shiver, such a meat market.

I went to club Wow a few times. Vague recollections of the arse end of brit pop style, what I remember reminds me of the girlie show, which I guess won’t mean anything to you. I remember kind of multi level dance floors and a kind of lack lustre cartoony vibe. There were dance podiums or cages I think and apparently on Saturdays there were naked women dancing in/on them.

I think the organisation became Kingdom Nightclub in the city centre across from John Lewis. I went in there a few times as well, the thought of it still makes me shiver, such a meat market.

Naked women, are you sure?? Scantily clad maybe but not naked, it wasn't the 70's. :hihi:

Naked women, are you sure?? Scantily clad maybe but not naked, it wasn't the 70's. :hihi:

I never went on a Saturday, the claim was made by someone I knew.

Afternoon all!

Yesterday evening we wen't to Paradise Golf at Centertainment (which I highly recomend by the way! :) ) for my brother's birthday.

But while in there, it got me thinking of the history of the place. As a kid I remember that complex being home to Club WOW and Brannigans. Naturally I never went in as by the time I turned 18, it had been developed into the resturaunts and attractions it has today.

I'm just really curious of what it used to be like in there, which parts of the buildings were used for what etc. Has anyone got any stories, pictures or descriptions of what it was like back then?

it's funny to think that where kids now play golf, jump around and fire lasers at eachother, used to be bars and a nightclub. :gag:

Before it was centertainment, there used to be cottages owned by the railway. If you were lucky and worked for the railway then you lived in one of the cottages. I was born there, it was known as Railway cottages off Broughton lane.

My grandfather work for the railways and lived in the Railway Cottages for some years.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=railway+cottages+broughton+lane&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB774GB775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikotSclefZAhUB26QKHcT3BFIQ_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=734#imgrc=j71JpWNVGmq-JM:

Chris

Edited by Beamish

His name was Herbert Bullement. A very small chap of about 4' 10". He was known as Little Herbert, seriously. He had five daughters.

Chris

Before it was centertainment, there used to be cottages owned by the railway. If you were lucky and worked for the railway then you lived in one of the cottages. I was born there, it was known as Railway cottages off Broughton lane.

Have a look here on this link

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.4016&lon=-1.4144&layers=168&b=1&r=46