999 year lease on a house!!

Sorry, I'm just going on articles I've been reading, some of them I've put links up to including the bill itself. I realise it's unlikely to pass at least in its current form but enough people are angry to the point it could affect votes and opinion now, no ?

Not really. Leasehold tenure is not new.

Not really. Leasehold tenure is not new.

Must all be "fake news" I've been reading then. Fair one though, you're the expert and have probably seen many prior attempts fail in your career. I'll just wait it out for the next year or so and if nothing has changed by then go through LVT !

Must all be "fake news" I've been reading then. Fair one though, you're the expert and have probably seen many prior attempts fail in your career. I'll just wait it out for the next year or so and if nothing has changed by then go through LVT !

Well, "First Tier Tribunal" as it's now called.

Its not fake news . See what the Guardian Newspaper dated 21 Dec 2017 reported :

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/dec/21/sajid-javid-promises-to-liberate-leaseholders-from-feudal-practices:

Leaseholders are to be freed from “feudal practices” in the property market, according to the government minister responsible for housing, with new rules to make extending a lease or purchasing a freehold “much easier, faster and cheaper”.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you

Read more

Sajid Javid, the communities secretary, also said the government would go ahead with a ban on leaseholds on new-build houses first announced in July, and will force developers to cut controversial ground rents to zero for all new apartments and houses.

The government will also write to all developers that have sold homes with “onerous ground rent terms” to ask them to provide “necessary redress”. Taylor Woodrow has set aside £130m to assist leasehold buyers but other developers have steadfastly refused to pay any form of compensation.

Javid said: “It’s unacceptable for homebuyers to be exploited through unnecessary leaseholds, unjustifiable charges and onerous ground rent terms. It’s clear from the overwhelming response from the public that real action is needed to end these feudal practices.”

Whilst that is true so far as it goes, the law remains unchanged- and it will continue to be so until:

a. the Law Commission has reported;

b. HMG has considered the Report;

c. [possibly] a Green Paper has been issued;

d. a White Paper has been issued;

e. a Bill has been prepared;

f. the Bill passes through Parliament and receives Royal Assent; and

g. the new Act comes into force.