Bring Back National Service

this country is going to the dogs.

bring it back. Teach kids respect, disipline, responsibility and manners.

get the little chubby blighters fit.

ou produce a society of kids who are disciplined enough to work and will graft.

fitter kids who may appreciate how lucky they are.

I've said this since I was about 16, myself!

Any kid (male or female) wanting to leave school with no qualifications & no job to go to should be obliged to spend 5 years in one of the services, at least learning a trade.

The alternative; get your exam passes, get a job or get to Uni.

I agree totally with the re-introduction of National service.

One thing does bother me about it though!

The youngsters that are leaving school without any form of qualification are as thick as 2 planks and would be a liability to others that have more than 2 brain cells to rub together.The introduction of military type schools would be a better option.

This however, would only be a dream as the do gooders and bleeding heart society would oppose such discipline being forced on the poor little darlings.

Bring back the birch. That would give em a "Happy Slap"

I disagree that the reintroduction of National Service would be beneficial for all. For example, teaching me respect and discipline was the job of my parents and it was a job they did well.

For me, running around in the forest erecting tents, shooting at targets and carrying a pack would have taught me nothing and been a complete waste of time.

I don't think that the solution to instilling respect and discipline within British society lies within National Service. Instead, the root of the problem (ie. inadequate parenting) should be addressed.

I'm with you on this Robbie, our society needs a good swift kick up the backside to attempt to instill some level of balance into certain social groups.

If national service was introduced then instead of rutting like dogs in heat, stealing, and clocking up as many asbos as possible the nations youth would be learning a trade, self discipline and respect for authority.

Bring it back, the more of them that are in national service now means there's less of them to go on Trisha in 3 years time :D

School is full of enough open doors for bullying as it is. Sending the asthmatic short guy with the thick rimmed glass to a camp where he has to run alongside mr athletic with a bag the same size as he is on his back is hell for that poor kid.

National Service based on behavior would be a better solution. Give the teachers the right to send the little $%!t$ off.

That's all very well for the minority of yobs who receive no parental control and are a menace to society. But what about the decent kids who are never in trouble with the law and come from good homes?

It's not fair that they should be brutalised and probably traumatised by army life because some of their peers don't know how to behave.

What we need is more realistic punishment handed out by the courts to the convicted yobs, rather than punish all young people because of the sins of a minority.

This is general reply, BTW, and not a response to Lickable's post above with which I totally agree

Originally posted by JonJParr

I disagree that the reintroduction of National Service would be beneficial for all. For example, teaching me respect and discipline was the job of my parents and it was a job they did well.

For me, running around in the forest erecting tents, shooting at targets and carrying a pack would have taught me nothing and been a complete waste of time.

I don't think that the solution to instilling respect and discipline within British society lies within National Service. Instead, the root of the problem (ie. inadequate parenting) should be addressed.

this is where you are wrong JonJParr ive seen the thickest of people and people like your self who think it would have done them no good turn from civilians in to first class infantry soldiers.....

also the country cannot control the parenting so there is always going to un ruley kids so yes these should be sent away on National Service.......

About calling kids 'yobs'. From Young People Now Magazine

'It is clear that there is going to be a continuing debate about youth crime and antisocial behaviour. But if the words "respect", "feral" and "yob" are going to figure in it, we should contemplate what they really signify.

Respect is a property of a relationship. It involves one person honouring another. Respect, as opposed to submission, has to be earned. It results from acknowledgement that the "other" has intrinsic value, moral worth.

Feral has not previously been applied to humans. It concerns cultivated plants or domesticated animals that have gone wild. To call children feral is to deny their humanity. It signifies mutual disrespect, as does "yob". What are we to make of this? There is nothing new about the young showing some disrespect for their elders. But labelling children "feral yobs" suggests a new low for serious policy analysis. It implies that the subjects are no longer part of a human relationship. Or that the analysts have no responsibility for whatever relationship has gone awry.

It's not a sensible starting point from which to find solutions to the real problem of youth crime. So, where do we start? We have allowed some neighbourhoods to become zones of hopelessness. We have failed to engage many children in our schools and have neglected their health. We have permitted the exploitation of children through the media. We have allowed our young people on reaching adolescence to fall prey to the high street drinks industry. We have criminalised and locked up increasing numbers of them. Finally, instead of talking and listening to them we have employed others to watch them through the largest concentration of CCTV cameras in the world.

This was not the best way to cultivate respect. The Youth Justice Board believes that we have to rebuild relationships with troubled and troublesome young people from the bottom up. That means all the mainstream services - education, health, housing and so on - taking crime prevention seriously. It means identifying children at risk and working with them and their parents. It means breathing new life into run-down neighbourhoods. It means resuscitating youth services. It means making a reality of neighbourhood policing. It means ending our obsession with locking young people up and instead using our stretched budgets for early prevention work and more intensive supervision of serious young offenders. Effort invested in this way may earn mutual respect. '

National Service would be a good idea for those who either dont know what they want to do, or those who deliberately wont work. It may help the youths who get coerced into bad ways, but the real trouble makers may not benefit - we may just be handing them guns instead of them stealing them!

There are some well behaved young people out there - my own sons included - who do not need to be taught discipline, as we did that. Parents are the main influence on childrens behaviour, and it is quite possible to raise decent human beings instead of thugs. It is not as easy as letting them do as they please, but it is also not that diffucult.

If powers were given back to the police and teachers, I think this would help. It is a nonsense that a teacher cannot separate 2 children fighting without being suspended or sacked. I know that there are some children at risk of violence, but those adults that commit those sort of awful crimes will not be stopped by laws. A bit of old-fashioned common sense is what is needed!

I agree. We need aome kind of middle ground here between far too lenient and being far too harsh. Common sense, a bit a mutual respect and better communication with kids.

(good grief - what a boring comment... I will try harder...) :)