Building question Re Safety NOT quotes for a job.

I have a question regarding a building issue.

My house is a terraced house, an old one with a living and separate dining room originally separated by a brick wall..

Someone opened it up by removing part of the wall and installing an arch. It has since been found that the support that has been put in place is timber. Its very substantial timber but timber all the same. It seems wrong to me. Looking at it there is nothing really supporting the rest of the house just this timber beam.

Should it be made of wood or should it be steel?

Thanks in advance good folk of Sheffield.

Guest makapaka

My house is a terraced house, an old one with a living and separate dining room originally separated by a brick wall..

Someone opened it up by removing part of the wall and installing an arch. It has since been found that the support that has been put in place is timber. Its very substantial timber but timber all the same. It seems wrong to me. Looking at it there is nothing really supporting the rest of the house just this timber beam.

If you’re concerned you could contact a structural engineer who would be able to advise.

When was it done? ,years ago all Lintels were timber ,and had to be replaced fromtime to time if not maintained correctly ,you still find them now.

Modern requirements are either re enforced concrete or steel lintels depending on span and what weight is being carried ,if in you are worried as above talk to a structural engineer

Usual support would be from an RSJ, I think (but I don't know).

[RSJ = Rolled (or 'Reinforced') Steel Joist]

If the timber is in good nick and it’s held it up all these years then it will be fine. If it ever needed changing due to splitting then it would have to be replaced with a steel RSJ beam.

Built plenty of houses 30 or 40 years ago at Chapelton al had wooden lintols but they were tanalised. You say yours is substantiol so guess 4inch wide so i would not worry to much . Depending how wide the opening is and if joists are sitting on it i wouldnt worry . How did you find out it was a wooden lintol

Built plenty of houses 30 or 40 years ago at Chapelton al had wooden lintols but they were tanalised. You say yours is substantiol so guess 4inch wide so i would not worry to much . Depending how wide the opening is and if joists are sitting on it i wouldnt worry . How did you find out it was a wooden lintol

Doesn't matter how wide it is, provided the the wall it's carrying isn't more than an inch or two thicker. Depth is what counts.

Doesn't matter how wide it is, provided the the wall it's carrying isn't more than an inch or two thicker. Depth is what counts.

Yes depth is the main strength but width does matter a 9x3 is not as strong as a 9 x 4 which is what should be used ./ putting a 9 x 3 in would mean making out for plaster line bodgeing at its worst stick to your knitting :suspect::suspect:

Yes depth is the main strength but width does matter a 9x3 is not as strong as a 9 x 4 which is what should be used ./ putting a 9 x 3 in would mean making out for plaster line bodgeing at its worst stick to your knitting :suspect::suspect:

Perhaps you should have said that in the first place. :loopy:

Perhaps you should have said that in the first place. :loopy:

When they put the wooden lintol in they would have put a 7 x 4 or 9 x 4 in

common sence its easier