Drivers on the Stocksbridge bypass

To be honest for every slow truck or coach on that road there's some doddering old fool going just as slow.

I doubt there'd much improvement if you banned large vehicles, and it wouldn't solve the traffic issues on the Manchester side.

To be honest for every slow truck or coach on that road there's some doddering old fool going just as slow.

I doubt there'd much improvement if you banned large vehicles, and it wouldn't solve the traffic issues on the Manchester side.

Exactly. Barmy idea

Have you never considered that so many have questioned your driving (myself included on another thread) that you might be the problem?

If you can't or won't drive to the limit of the road when the conditions allow then please use other roads where the limit is set to your ability - i.e. 30mph.

You're the type who probably does 50 on motorways (no doubt because you remember the phrase "50 is thrifty") and forces lorries into the second lane.

failing to make good progress ,was a driving test fail point.

Sorry Cyclone I usually drive at 40mph in a 50mph zone, and I"m not a poor driver.

err... you are actually, if that's what you're doing in every 50mph zone.

You should always look to drive up to the speed limit, wherever conditions permit. People who drive a good 10 mph below the speed limit create problems and frustration for others and are more likely to be the cause of an accident.

yep, not so long ago I was stuck behind some fool pootling along at between 20mph and 30mph for several miles along the Woodhead pass at night - this is just after you’ve left the M67 and passed the very last village of Mottram/Longdendale/Tintwhistle whatever it’s called.

I had to wait until the road opened up slightly then overtook on double white lines (!).

Highly dangerous, and highly illegal, and not something I can condone,

You would have thought if they were that scared of driving the road they'd just take the M62 and chill out.

You would have thought if they were that scared of driving the road they'd just take the M62 and chill out.

Or not drive at all

Cancel the hideously expensive HS2 and build a motorway from J35 M1 to the start of the M67 with the brass. We all know it makes sense. Much more sense than the Stocksbridge bypass which was a cheap "fix".

Angel1.

The most haunted road in Europe I’ve saw the videos

Strange But True with Michael Apsel!

The speed limit is exactly that - it's not a target.

Just because it's legal to drive at that speed it doesn't mean you should.

Take into account all road conditions including weather and visibity.

---------- Post added 04-09-2018 at 11:27 ----------

Speed kills.

Your reaction time isn't diminished, but the distance your vehicle travels is greater, and you're travelling with a greater momentum for the same distance.

Speed kills, QED

Speed DOES NOT kill.

IMPACT SPEED/FORCE kills.

---------- Post added 22-09-2018 at 20:36 ----------

Aggressive driving, intolerance and a lack of anticipation are far more dangerous than driving below the speed limit. On my daily commute I can knock 6 minutes off an hour-and-a-quarter’s commute each way if I really cane it. If I was a ‘better’ driver I’m sure I could hurtle past the slower stuff every day, but I could never justify the associated risk and I don’t need that 6 minutes badly enough, so have learned to be patient, and tag along behind the slower cyclists, trucks and caravans until it’s safe to pass. I enjoy the drive much more this way, and arrive relaxed and ready.

Very intelligent approach, indeed.

The problem with drivers is not so much physical skill or lack of it or, indeed, of willingness (or lack of it) to get up to speed.

It is a matter of driver attitude (and there’s plenty on show here).

Attitude around a queue of traffic ahead stuck behind a trucker who can’t accelerate out of a bend on a hill; stuck behind a low-powered 1.0 litre small car driven by an experienced or inexperienced, old or young, male or female driver. That attitude allows drivers to be judge and jury. You have no idea of what is going through others‘ minds. Rush to judgement at your peril. I’m forever with space in front of me, matching the speed of those ahead - no end of drivers feel the need to overtake me, misjudging my space ahead as lower speed. All too often they go no further. I have driven over this road in the dark and weather conditions that suggest “suck up any delay caused and stay in a queue” - all too often attitude causes some to overtake dangerously and illegally. It’s no surprise that it goes awfully wrong sometimes.

Whether this attitude allows you to suck up the momentary delay or causes you to overtake with risk is a choice. If it goes wrong, YOUR choice went wrong. You can’t blame anyone else.

As for “not making progress” causing a driver to fail an L-test, my bugbear again: extend your thinking as experienced drivers: name 20 other things that you and other drivers do daily that would give rise to a fail in what is a test of minimum competence.

Edited by DT Ralge

Driving too close is a big one.

Lane hogging (ie not moving back to the left when you can).

Speeding

Failure to look properly.

A number of people on here demonstrate a lack of knowledge of the HC.

Doubt that I could give the stopping distances in metres (never understood why knowing the number was important though).

Don't think I can list twenty though, that's all I can think of.