Puppy needed for autistic son

Hi all.

My son is 6 and on the autistic spectrum and has developmental delay. We have a cat that he interacts with but obviously the cat doesn't want to play. We have been advised that dogs are very good at bringing kids with developmental delay out of there shell. I have looked into charities that help with this but the requests they get far out ways the funding they have. We are therefore looking looking for a puppy so we can bring it up with the cat in mind and my son. We have been looking at adopting a dog but after months of looking it's extremely difficult to find one that fits all the needs we have.

We aren't too fussy on the puppy but obviously with it being for a 6 year old it can't be an aggressive breed.

If anyone can help that would be amazing

I was going to suggest the best dogs in the world , a Staffy but they can be boisterous as pups and maybe too much for your little lad to put up with . Good luck in your search and hope you find your lad a friend for life . Maybe you could adopt an older Staffy

I have been looking at staffies and a very good friend of mine had one for years. Being boisterous wasn't something I was too concerned about is was more that my son like going nose to nose with people and the cat but I know staffies aren't keen on this.

I have been looking at staffies and a very good friend of mine had one for years. Being boisterous wasn't something I was too concerned about is was more that my son like going nose to nose with people and the cat but I know staffies aren't keen on this.

Yes that's true . What about a Labrador ? Good luck

I have been looking at those too because of how timid but intelligent they are but cost is an issue

Not a lover of staffiies but would definitely say a Labrador retriever would be brilliant for an autistic child. They are boisterous as pups but so intelligent and learn everything so quickly. They adore children in my experience and are so gentle with them. Our labradors love the children and follow them around and interact with them and give the whole family such affection. Best dogs in the world in my opinion. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Problem we have is no matter the breed everyone wants big money for puppies.

Problem we have is no matter the breed everyone wants big money for puppies.

Be very careful about using breeders, they are getting a bad press at the moment which, in many instances, is justified.

There are always puppies available at rescues, you may have to travel but it is much more sociably responsible to do it that way.

Edited by max

Not a lover of staffiies but would definitely say a Labrador retriever would be brilliant for an autistic child. They are boisterous as pups but so intelligent and learn everything so quickly. They adore children in my experience and are so gentle with them. Our labradors love the children and follow them around and interact with them and give the whole family such affection. Best dogs in the world in my opinion. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Staffie's are absolutely brilliant with children, which is exactly why they're known as the nanny breed. There are actually more bites from Labrador's than Staffie's it's just that the media doesn't run away with these incidents like they do with any bite from a bull breed regardless of the circumstances.

If the issue with getting a puppy or young dog is due to the cost, I would suggest going to a rescue and looking for a dog that is suitable for you with regards to exercise levels, size, any history they may have with the dog and also you would be able to meet the dog a number of times with your son before making a commitment which may not be the case with a breeder. I would also suggest going for something slightly older than a pup in this instance so that you don't have to worry about house training, getting them used to a lead, being able to take them out straight away rather than having to wait for all vaccinations etc, and the adoption fees are reasonable and cover a number of things including spaying/neutering, microchipping, fleaing and worming etc which are all things you'd have to pay for on top of purchasing a puppy.

There are a number of reputable rescues in South Yorkshire and I'm sure between them they will have a new best friend for your son. Good luck!

Stealthy - generalizing about the traits/merits of this or that breed of dog can go very wrong because there can be different personality types within any one breed.

It might be worth considering going back to one of these assistance dog charities in order to take their advice on what to look for in a suitable dog. Failing that, why not take a trip to Discover Dogs next month? You would be able to look over many different types of dogs and discuss the matter with experienced breeders/owners.

The Kennel Club has a puppy finder section and this should go some way to helping you to find a suitable pet. Look for a breeder who knows their breed inside out and who has been breeding for some years because they will be in the best position to advise about temperament. A calm, gentle disposition can be the result of careful breeding for good temperament.

It is really important that you find a suitable pet so take your time and be very careful. You want a well bred and socialized puppy from an owner who has bred the pups in the home and have therefore been accustomed to handling and household noises. Goes without saying that you want to see the mum with the pups and have a good look at her to make sure that she is the mother. Good breeders will question you carefully and will want to help. They will also give you lifetime support.

Thank you all so much for all your advice. I'm still doing a lot of research into this so I can get the best puppy for my son

Stealthy - organisations like Guide Dogs for the Blind sometimes have to reject older pups in training because of some quite minor problem that would make them not quite right to be used by a person with sight loss. These dogs are usually still quite young and might make a suitable pet for your son. Older dogs can be a better bet for some people. If you are interested, it is possible that member Fabcakes might be able to advise because IIRC she has a guide dog herself.