Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

Does anyone know why it appears to have been shut down? It is all sealed up with metal panels over the windows and doors, and doesn't seem to be in business anymore.

I'm guessing there's been to much trouble in there lately, or maybe drugs? Anyone know whats happened?

Cheers. :D

Let's hope it's going to get refurbished. It certainly needs it.

I imagine it's the same reason why many pubs close, greedy pubcos, and poor bar manager who already works 14 hours a day is expected to work 16 hours the following year so their profits can go up again.

Apparantly it's going to be a Wetherspoons, combined with Barlows next door

Apparantly it's going to be a Wetherspoons, combined with Barlows next door

That would make sense actually, there isn't one round there is there. The nearest one to London Road Bankers Draft at Castle Square?

:)

There is a huge crisis in the British Pub industry. According to the Sunday Mirror, and also confirmed by many other sources, there are on average 67 pubs closing down in Britain every month. These closures are not limited to certain areas, but applicable to all areas, from rural villages to City Centres. This is a very scary figure, and seems largely supported by regional evidence, ie 5 pubs close down in London every week.

If this country is indeed losing 67 pubs each month, where can it all end? If this information is correct then over 800 pubs have been lost in the last 12 months across Britain, and this is showing no signs of slowing down. Even as the total number of pubs still open continues to shrink dramatically, the tide of closures seems to be gaining momentum.....Around 9 months ago the suggested rate of closures was 57, so its gained 10 new closures per month.

There are many suggested causes, such as Pub Company rents and beer ties, competition from mega discount chains like Weatherspoons and Lloyds Number One, cheap supermarket beer, smoking ban, etc. The British Pub industry is undergoing a kind of process of almost Darwinian 'Natural selection', ie the strong continue to survive but the rest are failing in droves faced with the threats of the external world around them..The stock of around 50,000 still open pubs in Britain is still high, so other theories would suggest there are far too many pubs for the current trends and economy to support.

This thread is here to track which pubs are closing in the Sheffield area, to see if the National figures of 67 closures per month is being reflected locally. Since the Sheffield area is a microcosm of the National, I suggest that if such closure figures are indeed accurate, at least ONE pub should be closing each month in Sheffield.

Sheffield has lost many, many pubs over the last 3 years, ranging from former established City centre traditional houses, to surburban Estate pubs, rural outskirt pubs, examples from all corners of the City in fact. In fact, more pubs in Sheffield have closed down in the last 3 years than at any post war period it is also suggested from local research.

Can the tide of closures be stopped? Lets keep a close track on closures and report any new closure on this thread so we can watch to see if the local closure trends will finally halt......

IE. In Stannington, my local area, we have lost in the last 3 years the Hare and Hounds, now sold off for development, and also the Turnbull, also now sold to a private developer for housing stock. The remaining pubs comprise The Peacock, Crown and Glove, Sportsman (top), Sportsman (lower), Holly Bush, Deerstalker, and Rivelin. 7 pubs remain, but for how long with these scary National closure figures who knows??? Are there simply too many pubs all too close together for the current economy?

http://www.paulkingsnorth.net/Pubs.html

This suggests reasons for many closures....to some extent anyway...

we have lost The Sicey hotel, Shiregreen Hotel and The Horse shoe, not to mention the Huntsman...plus I was shocked to see many darnall pubs shut too, wellington, Duke of York and what the hell happened to the Enfield? was there last week, now it's a pile of rubble.

Terrible shame, lost the heart of our communities.

Was wondering if this was price of beer, smoking ban or simply there's not enough folk qualified to run a decent public house?

Was wondering if this was price of beer, smoking ban or simply there's not enough folk qualified to run a decent public house?

It could be argued all 3 in many ways. There are schools of thought in this industry who claim that pub companies will happily give pubs to virtually anyone who asks for one and who comes up with the cash especially a premises they view as in decline or a problem pub.

I have been in many pubs (which I will not name) where the leaseholders/tenants are clueless about business, clueless about customer relations, clueless about hygiene, in some cases they have been given pubs and never even pulled a pint before. I am sure everyone can think of such a place, usually a community local, where the management changes very quickly as they are clueless about anything, and have a curious vision about the 'running a dream pub' and making millions.....not quite the way it works anymore......

theirs the five arches gone.forty foot gone..the gate on claywheels lane only opens on match days,and now they are saying the wadsley bridge wmc is in dept by thousands,and people are saying in the area thats it ready to close????may be its true may be its not..but its some thing to think about:huh::huh:

we have lost The Sicey hotel, Shiregreen Hotel and The Horse shoe, not to mention the Huntsman...plus I was shocked to see many darnall pubs shut too, wellington, Duke of York and what the hell happened to the Enfield? was there last week, now it's a pile of rubble.

Terrible shame, lost the heart of our communities.

Don't know the area so out of how many pubs in total in each area do these closures represent? Are there still plenty left or huge gaps now...