Women are 'Plus-Sized' and Men are 'Fat'

I came across a piece online recently where some plus-sized women claimed that they would never go out with an overweight man as they're not attractive. Yet, these women claim it's 'fatphobic' not to be attracted to larger ladies.

Is this female empowerment or is it just hypocrisy?

Also, why is it OK for men to be fat/overweight, but disrespectful to women?

I used to be fat, got called all the names under the sun, but i learned to live with it until i lost weight. The reason i did so was purely for health reasons. But, it's just a word that describes someone's size and, although it is often used in a derogatory way, many use it just simply to describe without their being any venom in the statement. So is it OK for women to be 'plus-sized' and men to be 'fat/overweight'?

Feel free to be attracted to exactly whom you choose. I don't think that 'fatphobic' is an actual word anyway.

I'm attracted to younger (mid 30s/early 40s) men who are in great shape. That doesn't mean that other men are 'worthless' or have no value. But, if my head's gonna get turned, then that's what'll turn it. No amount of politically correct posturing is gonna change that, I'm afraid :blush:

I came across a piece online recently where some plus-sized women claimed that they would never go out with an overweight man as they're not attractive. Yet, these women claim it's 'fatphobic' not to be attracted to larger ladies.

I used to be fat, got called all the names under the sun, but i learned to live with it until i lost weight. The reason i did so was purely for health reasons. But, it's just a word that describes someone's size and, although it is often used in a derogatory way, many use it just simply to describe without their being any venom in the statement. So is it OK for women to be 'plus-sized' and men to be 'fat/overweight'?

Not the most serious thread I suppose, but there's some fact to it.

'Real women have curves', but apparently real men don't (although thankfully the 'dad bod' seems to be addressing that)

There are other examples in a similar vein, but equally there are examples where women are unfairly treated. Will always be that way I suspect.

Posts have been removed. If you cant have a sensible, grown up discussion without using derogatory terms/insults then please dont post.

Thank you.

The two issues to me here are:

1. Yes, you should be able to find whoever you like attractive. But, there has been much in the world of feminism around 'fatphobia' (I agree, horrible word, but it is used by the people I'm talking about) where it is, apparently, discrimination against larger women if a man says he doesn't find them attractive because he prefers slimmer women

2. In the stories and videos I've seen on this, the women are 'plus-sized' and the men are 'fat/overweight'. Why? Why is one seen in a positive light and the other not?

I'm not saying that women aren't unfairly treated, but is the answer to this that, whilst women are striving for more empowerment, should this include belittling men at the same time?

1. Yes, you should be able to find whoever you like attractive.

Isnt what we find attractive in our DNA, young and slim with a few curves. Which means we don't find fat/obese/porky people as attractive. There is a little lee-way either side.

Isnt what we find attractive in our DNA, young and slim with a few curves. Which means we don't find fat/obese/porky people as attractive. There is a little lee-way either side.

I don't believe so, if it is it's only a small percentage. I think it mainly comes down to factors in your life and your experiences. While all my mates, when I was a teenager, were fawning over Pamela Anderson etc. I fancied the more gothy types due to me being in to rock/metal music. Now I'm older, it's less about having a type and appreciating the body in many ways.

However, I view obesity in the same way as I view anorexia. I personally wouldn't stigmatize anyone or persecute them, but I do feel these people require help as being at either extreme is unhealthy and likely to shorten your life. As you say, being slightly one way or the other is fine, but when your lifestyle choice starts to impact on your ability to live day to day, I could not be attracted to someone who I couldn't enjoy doing things with.

Many athletes are attractive because they are fit, look after themselves and are driven - those are attractive qualities. I also love Nigella because she's curvy, attractive and seems to have a lovely personality.

As a person who looks androgynous, with not many curves and not particularly feminine, as I wear a load of black , I've had the odd remark or two in the past. It was worse when I was underweight. It's not nice, but then again, neither are the people who are giving it out. I believe in being nice to people, regardless of looks etc. That is until they give me a reason not to be.

Edited by AmberLeaf

Can't visualise Chubby Brown's shows starting with the audience chanting "You plus-sized *******":D

The problem can be easily overcome if people described others in terms of their personality characteristics or their behaviours / actions.

As a person who looks androgynous, with not many curves and not particularly feminine, as I wear a load of black , I've had the odd remark or two in the past. It was worse when I was underweight. It's not nice, but then again, neither are the people who are giving it out. I believe in being nice to people, regardless of looks etc. That is until they give me a reason not to be.

Well said amber.

Well said amber.

Which, i think, everyone agrees with. The issue is, in these days of political correctness and feminism, why are women referred to as plus-sized but men are fat/overweight?

And, why is it OK for women to not be attracted to fat men, but not OK for men not to be attracted to plus-sized women as that is anti-feminist and fatphobic?