Advice needed about "coolant" water for car ??

dashboard warning light is on in my car telling me it needs water??(so i thought ) anyway turns out you dont put water in but coolant , so iv been looking for this "coolant" & all i can find is "anti freeze & coolant" it is 99p from home bargains, but i wasnt sure about the anti freeze part so i have just been to Halfords they were very helpful and shown me this "coolant " that is called "coolant & anti freeze" difference being £24 as its £25 from halfords plus needs "ironised Water" another £4 obviously thats a huge price difference

so what im asking is will the cheaper option do the same job ? As well as is this what my VW golf needs?

thank you for reading and i appreciate any help & advice offered

Edited by nickyb10
spelling mistakes

will do thanks

---------- Post added 06-10-2017 at 15:11 ----------

thank you for the link , iv just looked to be honest i dont think i was very clear , as what i want to know is can i use this much cheaper version of coolant ?

On the bottle of this cheaper coolant is says "For all engine types "

Depending on the age of your Golf, it may already have and therefore require a special version of coolant, and using the cheap blue coolant may react badly with the existing coolant.

The VW coolant required will be one of the following:

G12

G12+

G13

Eurocar Parts sells 5litres of ready-mixed G12+ for £10.99 and will deliver free.

If you mix the wrong types of coolant the entire lot can turn to sludge.

If you don't know what you need go to the parts department at the main dealer, they will sell you the correct spec coolant for your car.

Ok thank you for that i think i need to forget about the cheap version , really appreciate your help cheers

Depending on the age of your Golf, it may already have and therefore require a special version of coolant, and using the cheap blue coolant may react badly with the existing coolant.

The VW coolant required will be one of the following:

G12

G12+

G13

Eurocar Parts sells 5litres of ready-mixed G12+ for £10.99 and will deliver free.

I agree with you on using G13 but I didn't think Euro delivered to private addresses. I may be wrong.

Edited by kevvy
text

Surely they must?

If not then just CP4L ?? or click and collect.

I agree with you on using G13 but I didn't think Euro delivered to private addresses. I may be wrong.

They have delivered to mine previously - but it could have changed since.

Bit of a funny question this one. If the op means what goes into the radiator, I have always, always used water and anti freeze, mixed roughly to a 50/50 mix. Never ever had any problem with any car I have ever owned, from 1969 up to the present day. Have I been doing it wrong all these years, if so why have I never had a problem?. One year in Dumfries temp went down to -24 Volvo started first twist of the key.

Angel1.

VW use their own odd blend of anti-freeze, some types have issues mixing with other types of anti-freeze than can lead to major issues.

Other types of anti-freeze have issues mixing as well so it's important to check what you have.

take a sample of the coolant from your engine and mix it with some standard antifreeze I very much doubt there will be any sort of bad reaction ,once again vw telling lies,they are experts at it.