Its all kicking off in Catalonia

Reports of Spanish police firing rubber bullets at independence protestors.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/oct/01/catalan-independence-referendum-spain-catalonia-vote-live

I think when things reach that level independence at some point along the line has become inevitable.

Knowing a few Catalans myself, the chances of them as a nation backing down from this are zero.

As always seems to be the case the ones with the loudest voices get the attention. My understanding is that there is a small majority for remaining in Spain but you would never know it from the media coverage.

Perhaps the Govt should have let them have their Referendum.

If the Catalans were to leave what would that mean for Barcelona FCC ?

The sooner the EU integrates the better, when it does than states can divide into sensible regions rather then remain hung up on traditional but impractical national constructions.

As always seems to be the case the ones with the loudest voices get the attention. My understanding is that there is a small majority for remaining in Spain but you would never know it from the media coverage.

Perhaps the Govt should have let them have their Referendum.

If the Catalans were to leave what would that mean for Barcelona FCC ?

Are you arguing that a small majority means that the others should just give up?

Very Brexiteer of you!!!

---------- Post added 01-10-2017 at 11:35 ----------

The sooner the EU integrates the better, when it does than states can divide into sensible regions rather then remain hung up on traditional but impractical national constructions.

Catalonia is actually pretty cohesive. Even across the border into French Catalonia there are hugely powerful bonds. The sense of a Catalan nation/culture even spreads into parts of the Balearic Islands where Catalan is spoken.

The sooner the EU integrates the better

Yeah... that ideology is really taking off..

Are you arguing that a small majority means that the others should just give up?

Very Brexiteer of you!!!

---------- Post added 01-10-2017 at 11:35 ----------

Catalonia is actually pretty cohesive. Even across the border into French Catalonia there are hugely powerful bonds. The sense of a Catalan nation/culture even spreads into parts of the Balearic Islands where Catalan is spoken.

is it Catalan or Catalonia as a being then? i put Catalan in mi topic as i wasnt sure?

is it Catalan or Catalonia as a being then? i put Catalan in mi topic as i wasnt sure?

Nice to see you’ve corrected your mistake

Nice to see you’ve corrected your mistake

i never did lol, i didnt even get a positive answer before a "nice" mod changed it :P

---------- Post added 01-10-2017 at 12:04 ----------

Both seem to be used in the opening few lines in mi post too

This reminds me on not so ancient history in Yugoslavia.

I hope this one will end peacefully without bloodshed.

I hope this one will end peacefully without bloodshed.

Who knows. The continent has a long history of subjugation.