What do the police do?

After having my car rammed by an Artic today, the police eventually turned up and told me that they couldn't do anything about it, as it was my word against the truck driver's. The truck driver claimed I was in his blind spot, when I was actually around 15 feet in front of him, before he accelerated into me.

I offered the policeman (community support officer) the footage from my dashcam, but he refused it saying that they wouldn't prosecute unless they actually saw it themselves.

So, as I very rarely see the police on the city's roads, what do they actually do?

After having my car rammed by an Artic today, the police eventually turned up and told me that they couldn't do anything about it, as it was my word against the truck driver's. The truck driver claimed I was in his blind spot, when I was actually around 15 feet in front of him, before he accelerated into me.

I offered the policeman (community support officer) the footage from my dashcam, but he refused it saying that they wouldn't prosecute unless they actually saw it themselves.

So, as I very rarely see the police on the city's roads, what do they actually do?

Act as revenue raisers by harrassing people for using their mobiles, drifting over the speed limit and committing the heinous crime of not wearing a seatbelt.

They deal with the Jeremy Kyle' type facebook complaints because the government say they have to. I completely sypmatise with you. :(

Might be worth having a word with a solicitor.

Act as revenue raisers by harrassing people for using their mobiles, drifting over the speed limit and committing the heinous crime of not wearing a seatbelt.

All pretty serious offences!

Are community support officers even classed as proper police or are they the pretend police that volunteer have the same powers of arrest as you and I?

The police won't do anything about a car accident, that's for your insurance company to deal with. Send your dashcam footage to them. Unless you are alleging that the artic deliberately rammed your car - in which case report the driver for attempted murder, then the police may take action & arrest someone (most likely you, for wasting their time).

Once upon a time driving into the back of another vehicle would (mostly) lead to an instant charge.

Blind spot? ... Irrelevant.

We're not being told the full story here.

If the op was in front it would have been a rear end shunt - unlike the one i saw yesterday where the car had obviously tried to overtake on a dual carriageway and then cut back in as it went to single file and had obviously left it too late.

All of which could save your life or someone else's.

Are community support officers even classed as proper police or are they the pretend police that volunteer have the same powers of arrest as you and I?

<rant>ARGH! Community support officers are not volunteers! And they do no have any powers of arrest above a normal citizen. Special Police are volunteers and they DO have FULL Police powers. Stop confusing the two. </rant>

<rant>ARGH! Community support officers are not volunteers! And they do no have any powers of arrest above a normal citizen. Special Police are volunteers and they DO have FULL Police powers. Stop confusing the two. </rant>

Ok appologies for that but why give them a special name then? Whats the difference between Community Support Officers and a Police Officer?