Picking up litter, and making it fun!

Hi everyone

Couldn't help but share this video. It's a TED talk presentation about a new app inspiring people to make a contribution to their communities by picking up litter.

Imagine how much cleaner Sheffield would be if everyone made a tiny contribution.

-Puggy

There's quite a lot of active litter picker groups in Sheffield. If you want to make a difference there's a Facebook page called Sheffield Litter Pickers with a list of groups and contact details.

I often pick up litter and put it in disposal bin. Don't do it all the time or everywhere but don't care picking it up. When a crisps bag or plastic bottle is there often you don't even need to stop walking to get it. I once timed myself and it took round ten seconds to get five things and put them in bin by bus stop. I have little respect for people who moan about the mess, many are too lazy to clean it. I dont blame the problem on the people who make the mess.

I have little respect for people who moan about the mess, many are too lazy to clean it. I dont blame the problem on the people who make the mess.

I sometimes pick up litter. The larger the item and more local, the more likely I am to pick it up.

Glass I will pick up in most places, cans near my home.

I think a lot of litter comes from drunks and school children, and items placed in bins that do not stay there.

Its a great idea, but it would be even better if people didnt just drop it in the first place. I find it gobsmacking selfish where you walk in town and people just throw things on the floor expecting someone else to pick it up.

Guest makapaka
Its a great idea, but it would be even better if people didnt just drop it in the first place. I find it gobsmacking selfish where you walk in town and people just throw things on the floor expecting someone else to pick it up.

It's a disgrace when people do it.

I've pulled people on it in the past. I walked behind a lad the other week eating chips out of a takeaway carton who just dropped it on the floor as he was walking. I just pick it up and say "you've dropped this".

As per the original post I do this on a small scale. I don't go up and down our street but if there's anything on the pavement the immediate area I pick it up and put it in our bin. To be fair it's not bad on our street generally but if everyone just did that the pavements would soon be clear.

Street litter control notices (SLCNs) give councils the power to require businesses to clear litter from around their premises.

The above is a power that councils have had for a number of years.

Do they ever use those powers? A good retailer will try to help reduce litter, my local Morrisons have a very large litter bin outside their store.