What effect will 10% housing benefit cut have on sheffield peeps?

Totally agree. But there's also supposed to be a skills shortage. I'd like to see more investment in proper training and apprenticeships (not the 6 week kind of apprenticeship much mooted by the government.) The cost of training for those who don't qualify for any help is often more expensive than they can afford to pay.

There is a skill shortage but in those industries in which people still tend to get - dare I say it...dirty.

We tried to source HP Steam welders in Sheffield for a project and ended up bringing in people from all over the UK. This in spite of advertising in every possible arena, paying great wages and with decent working conditions.

But it takes three years to start to gain these skills and too many people are not prepared to commit.

Most? Greater than 50% of people cannot afford their housing?

I'm fairly sure majority of those now renting do receive hb/lha, such is the scale of the housing market subsidies.

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 20:17 ----------

Less than half of properties in the uk are rented..even if all those that are were depending on HB ( which they aren't) then your "most people" above would still be wrong..

The 50% of people with morgage are all benefiting from government subsidy - artificially low interest rates e.g., before we start to consider other props such as SMI etc.

Every time a person bemoans cuts and calls for more Government cash, they are actually calling for more money to be snatched from the taxpayer, and from the entrepreneur who would otherwise use that money (THEIR money) to reinvest in more productive ventures.

The same entrepreneur spirit that outsources work overseas instead of paying UK staff a living wage? And sets up a shell corporation in a tax haven instead of paying their fair share of tax into the UK pot?

Remember, the Tories are all about "fairness"

I'm fairly sure majority of those now renting do receive hb/lha, such is the scale of the housing market subsidies.

I bet there isn't.

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 20:17 ----------

The 50% of people with morgage are all benefiting from government subsidy - artificially low interest rates e.g., before we start to consider other props such as SMI etc.

How can an interest rate be artificially low. There is no "natural" value for a man made financial construct.

I bet there isn't.

How can an interest rate be artificially low. There is no "natural" value for a man made financial construct.

It's oft quoted that interest rates are being kept artificially low by the bank of England. If / when the rate goes up an awful lot of people such as those with mortgages are going to suffer. On the other hand, historically low interest rates are punishing savers who did the right thing and saved for the future, many pensioners for instance. And annuity rates are also at an all time low.

Considering the profits some banks are making, you would expect interest rates to be much higher.

I bet there isn't.

50p?

Provide proof ;)

Interest rates are widely accepted to be artificially low.

You want me to provide proof for a bet? :puzzled:

Widely by whom? Whatever value is set it's entirely artificial.