Skyride Sheffield: 5 July

Er, more people are travelling at rush hour (that's why it's called so).

SCC manage to delay everyone en route by their crass mismanagement of highways.

Of course. It has nothing to do with so many people choosing to use a form of transport that causes traffic jams when they are perfectly capable of choosing an alternative that means they wouldn't get stuck.

Of course. It has nothing to do with so many people choosing to use a form of transport that causes traffic jams when they are perfectly capable of choosing an alternative that means they wouldn't get stuck.

Some people have no other choice than to drive due to disability.

Altus' comment was about rush hour traffic. Maybe you could say how many disabled people drive in Sheffield at those times.

I believe Caroline Waugh was on the skyride. Inspirational woman, worth having a chat with. Im not saying cycling is suitable for every disability but its a lot more inclusive than you might imagine

http://iaintnotomato.blogspot.co.uk/

good point W-Ian and Steve Marsden has done lots of sessions getting those with disabilities on bikes.

It's easy to say for those of us with no disabilities, but those who are disabled and lead enriching lives tend to ask what it is they can do, not what they can't do

That's why I put "so many people" and not "everyone".

I didn't do the Skyride, but I did make four journeys by car during the middle of the day on Sunday for which I would normally have used Eccy Road, and what struck me was that despite taking a slightly longer route, they were all much quicker; there was very little traffic along Fulwood Road. So I suspect that a lot of the people who would normally have been driving on Ecclesall Road and its environs were either doing the Skyride, or else stayed away in the mistaken belief that it was going to cause a traffic apocalypse.

I did actually go down to Ecclesall Road - it did mean that I had to walk through the Botanical Gardens, but as it happened it was a beautful day and there was the added treat of an orchestra rehearsing for a concert that evening, so I stayed a while there and had a good listen. Actually on Ecclesall Road itself there were lots of people having fun - by and large they weren't the lazy stereotype one or two people have portrayed here, mostly it was families with young children having the treat of being able to ride on the roads without fear of injury or death. There were loads of stewards around, especially near road junctions where they were dealing with situations where local residents needed to get in and out.

I had no complaints about the skyride itself ..even though it meant me having to walk from hunters bar to city center..what did wind me up was as i was coming into city center walking on the path the number of bikes not sticking to the cycle paths and tutting at pedestrians.. flippin heck you got the rds closed and you want the pavements too

Edited by annb3811
ooops spelling

I had no complaints about the skyride itself ..even though it meant me having to walk from hunters bar to city center..what did wind me up was as i was coming into city center walking on the path the number of bikes not sticking to rhe cycle paths and tutting at pedesrrian.. the.flit the rds closes n you want the pavements too

That genuinely does sound annoying, and is bad behaviour by the cyclists concerned.

I was similarly annoyed the previous week when it was the Round Sheffield Run - driving down Twentywell Lane there were participants walking up in the middle of the road, in places were there was plenty of pavement - expecting motorists to stop and wait for them to walk past. It would have been bad enough if it was somewhere where there had been some prior indication that the event was happening - which there hadn't.