There was a piece on Look North this evening about the run-off reservoir being built in Millhouses Park. The Water Board rep mentioned they were also building reservoirs for the Porter Brook and Carbrook. I presume the Porter Brook reservoir is the one in Endclife Park, but does anyone know where the Carbrook reservoir is being built ?

I think the only place the Carbrook can be seen now is where it flows into the Don at Weir Head.

Never heard of it personally, but the Carbrook area of Sheffield is round Meadowhall isn't it?

There was a piece on Look North this evening about the run-off reservoir being built in Millhouses Park. The Water Board rep mentioned they were also building reservoirs for the Porter Brook and Carbrook. I presume the Porter Brook reservoir is the one in Endclife Park, but does anyone know where the Carbrook reservoir is being built ?

I think the only place the Carbrook can be seen now is where it flows into the Don at Weir Head.

Sorry to bring up a old thread but did anything ever happen with this?

The OP mentioned Porter Brook as well. I don't recall anything visible above ground being added in the Porter Brook area, but there were some underground tanks built a few years ago. One under Endcliffe Vale Road, somewhere near the junction with Endcliffe Rise road (you can see extensive infilled covers in the road) along with one under Endcliffe Park - in the main green area, roughly between the Parkour and Rustlings road, IIRC. I think there were others as well as part of the same scheme, but I can't remember where. Maybe these are what the OP was referring to.

If so, any at Carbrook may also be hidden.

Just to clarify. The ones I was referring to near Porter Brook were part of a scheme to protect against raw sewage being flushed into the river during high storms. There is too much water in the sewers to be accepted in the sewers and through to the sewage works. Historically, this was allowed to overflow into the rivers. Rainwater entering the sewers during a storm will tend to wash out any sewage in there. This "first flush" is quite strong. So, to stop it going into the river, it is captured in a tank. Only when the tank is full is the incoming flow (which is now much weaker, and basically rainwater, as the first flush of sewage has gone) allowed to go into the river. Then, after the storm, the tank is pumped back into the sewer and away for treatment.

Edited by Eater Sundae

I believe there's something to do with flood prevention and drainage being built between Woolleywood bottom and the M1 motorway, just North of Meadowhall. I don't know if that's anything to do with it.

I believe some works were done around the Castlebeck area but I am not sure of the exact location. All is underground.

You can see Car Brook at the rear of Church of Jesus Christ Apostolic (at botton of Prince of Wales Road) as it flows towards (and under) Main Road. Car Brook then reappears at the side of the tyre garage (ATI Tyres) on Senior Road in a deep culvert (look over the high wall to the right of the tyre garage) as it flows towards where the Halfway pub used to be.

There were some works by the water board on the patch of grass land bounded by Greenland Road, Britannia Road, Catclffe Road and Senior Road. Again, everything is underground.

Hope this helps.

Could it be flood prevention ready for HS2? Or is this in the wrong area?

Could it be flood prevention ready for HS2? Or is this in the wrong area?

I doubt it given that firstly the original post is from 2004 and HS2 wasn't even thought of then and second, no construction work on HS2 can start until it's been approved by parliament which is still a few years off yet - unless cancelled :-/

I doubt it given that firstly the original post is from 2004 and HS2 wasn't even thought of then and second, no construction work on HS2 can start until it's been approved by parliament which is still a few years off yet - unless cancelled :-/

True I never thought about the 2004 date lol.