How long did the Bayeux Tapestry take to make?

I can't seem to find anything on the topic. Shocking really. I thought it was a pretty important question.

Thanks.

About 10 years between 1067 and 1077.

Literally covers this in the first article in a Google search for this topic, although it seems the subject is up for some debate.

and it's not a tapestry.

I can't seem to find anything on the topic. Shocking really. I thought it was a pretty important question.

Thanks.

it was mentioned on the bbc news at 1.0pm

Thanks.

I remember studying it at school, but forgotten most of the details though. I wouldn't say it was an important question, but more an interesting question.

Literally covers this in the first article in a Google search for this topic, although it seems the subject is up for some debate.

I typed in 'how long did the bay' and it was the first one. It's difficult to know how complex the google algorithms are, it probably knows I'm reading this thread.

I prefer people ask questions though in here (or in real life), rather than look them up without asking, otherwise how do people learn new things?

I learned something already! :hihi: ...

and it's not a tapestry.

this! ^^

According to wiki: 'it is in fact an embroidery.'

I'd have to google what is the difference, and how important is this fact?! :hihi:

...or today, a repro in a Taiwanese sweatshop, three-and-a-half minutes....

I remember studying it at school, but forgotten most of the details though. I wouldn't say it was an important question, but more an interesting question.

I typed in 'how long did the bay' and it was the first one. It's difficult to know how complex the google algorithms are, it probably knows I'm reading this thread.

I prefer people ask questions though in here (or in real life), rather than look them up without asking, otherwise how do people learn new things?

I learned something already! :hihi: ...

this! ^^

According to wiki: 'it is in fact an embroidery.'

I'd have to google what is the difference, and how important is this fact?! :hihi:

An embroidery is sewn onto a plain textile backing.

A tapestry has the picture created by selecting the appropriate colour threads as it is woven on a loom.

Mrs Obelix is a cross stich fanatic which is why I know this. Cross stitch is embroidery that looks like tapestry. And lets not get onto what a brocade is...

I read this morning that nobody is quite sure if it was made in Normandy or Kent. If so, with that level of book keeping, I fail to see how anyone could know how long it took to make beyond guessing. It is quite a thing to behold though.

Thanks.

Norman French nuns allegedly took 1 whole year to produce the Bayeux Tapestry

Quite an unremarkable piece when viewed against the skill and craftsmanship of artworks produced for over 500 years in Britain\Ireland previous to the Norman French occupation.

I'd prefer they keep it in France, why celebrate an unremarkable work that glorified what was the beginning of a brutal foreign occupation of most of Britain??

You mean the occupation that supplanted the occupation by the Saxons, who supplanted the occupation by the Romans....?

You mean the occupation that supplanted the occupation by the Saxons, who supplanted the occupation by the Romans....?

The Saxons were based in the South only(Wessex) They were a settled population the same ones (their decendents) as are there now ,as for the North it was made up of Angle and Scandinavians the same as is here now..

The Norman occupation/conquest was a rule by a foreign state. They ruled the establisment/church and the people as a foreign occupier... wasn't until the 1400s that the "English" language was gradually made one ofthe languages of the State ..it was Norman French for 400 years prior and some time after to a degree

Edited by ICXCNIKA