Investing a reasonable sum of money

Money (theoretically) coming out of a pension pot, that you don't want to buy an annuity with. (drawdown not an option). SIPP, Managed SIPP, a house to rent out? experiences?

Money (theoretically) coming out of a pension pot, that you don't want to buy an annuity with. (drawdown not an option). SIPP, Managed SIPP, a house to rent out? experiences?
..........probably a good time to avoid Property speculation,Crypto currencies and Shares at the present! Could be corrections coming down the line soon enough.

Presumably SIPP would mean it was a transfer from the existing pot?

I have a SIPP, making a reasonable return, but it seems like an odd choice if the money is coming out of a pension scheme due to you having reached the point you can withdraw it. You'd lose a lot of the tax advantage wouldn't you, I'm not even sure it's 100% legal if it isn't just a transfer.

And if it is just a transfer then obviously you can't buy a house to rent out with it.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't try to get into the small landlord game at the moment, there's no money to be made there. You'd lose 3% just on buying the house due to the additional stamp duty charge.

..........probably a good time to avoid Property speculation,Crypto currencies and Shares at the present! Could be corrections coming down the line soon enough.

If looking at crypto, it's worth signing up to a few exchanges now, rather than later (it won't cost you anything). A few exchanges now are not allowing any new signups, due to the sheer volume of new people coming in, their servers and tech can't cope.

So yeah, if you're thinking about crypto, better to get accounts setup on exchanges now, just incase you decide to jump in at some future point.

Just to warn people, crypto is extremely volatile, so don't put in anything you're not prepared to lose!

You will be avoiding everything except banks and building societies if you don't like risk.

I have invested in shares for over 20 year, I have lost thousands and gained thousands, probably gained more - most people die rich, is there any point in doing that.

Investing in bitcoin at the moment is akin to betting on the horses.

Investing in shares, with a long term view and a diversified portfolio is far lower risk.

Investing in bitcoin at the moment is akin to betting on the horses.

At least with Bitcoin its only a two horse race, and its unlikely they will both fall at the first fence.

I would invest a couple of hundred, its a world-wide gamble.

You will be avoiding everything except banks and building societies if you don't like risk.

I have invested in shares for over 20 year, I have lost thousands and gained thousands, probably gained more - most people die rich, is there any point in doing that.

.....I have done much the same only for twice as long....if only we could always buy at the bottom and sell at the top!

We are into worrying times at the moment as we are not playing with real money anymore! Todays recent huge gains in various financial gambles will be tomorrows losses! This is the top return for many recent gains and the time to leave as the mugs are piling in!...........I have seen it so many times,there has never been a better time to cash in and sit on your gains,and wait for the next fad to come along,but of course most won't as they can't bear to think of 1% in a bank.