H&M racist advert

I just wondered what people's opinions were about the latest H&M advert which features a young black boy in a jumper with the logo 'coolest monkey in the jungle'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/the-weeknd-cuts-ties-with-handm-over-racist-advert/ar-BBI8LNQ?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

I was stunned at the cack handedness of the of the ad. The marketing people must have known how this would be interpreted, especially so soon after the Dove ad debacle of a few months ago.

I don't know whether the marketing people knew this would cause controversy, therefore bring attention to their brand (on the basis of all publicity is good publicity), though as the link above shows, many such as Weekend have disowned the brand; or whether the people making these ads assumed that Britain, 2018, is post racist.

H&M have since withdrawn the ad.

if it was a white lad modelling it it would be seen as a "cheeky" monkey?

I think I their rush to be all inclusive they've forgotten there's a big world outside H&M high command where, for example professional footballers still have to listen to monkey noises. Cack handed describes it perfectly.

---------- Post added 09-01-2018 at 13:44 ----------

if it was a white lad modelling it it would be seen as a "cheeky" monkey?

I don't think it would have mattered if it was a white kid if I'm honest.

everything is racist now days its about time people got a grip.

It's a sad sad world when a child, any child, can't wear particular clothing because of the racist slurs of adults..

I just wondered what people's opinions were about the latest H&M advert which features a young black boy in a jumper with the logo 'coolest monkey in the jungle'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/the-weeknd-cuts-ties-with-handm-over-racist-advert/ar-BBI8LNQ?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

I was stunned at the cack handedness of the of the ad. The marketing people must have known how this would be interpreted, especially so soon after the Dove ad debacle of a few months ago.

I don't know whether the marketing people knew this would cause controversy, therefore bring attention to their brand (on the basis of all publicity is good publicity), though as the link above shows, many such as Weekend have disowned the brand; or whether the people making these ads assumed that Britain, 2018, is post racist.

Nothing wrong with it at all. The only 'racist' thing about it is the people getting upset as they are the ones associating the black boy with being a monkey. Us normals dont see a problem.

Seems overly PC to me. Surely it's more racist to look at a t-shirt and think "Hmmm, best get a white guy to model this"... Rather than just "best get a guy to model this"...

By admitting that they sell clothes that black people can't advertise, aren't they just admitting that they are selling clothes that black people can't wear. It seems like that isn't an issue tho?

Nothing wrong with it at all. The only 'racist' thing about it is the people getting upset as they are the ones associating the black boy with being a monkey. Us normals dont see a problem.

totally agree, being offended for offence sake is getting more fashionable:loopy:

It's a boy in a jumper. Who's the racist, the person who doesn't spot the apparent connection or the one who does? Sorry, if you see the word 'Monkey' on a child's jumper and immediately associate it with the colour of his skin rather than the well used 'cheeky monkey' phrase commonly associated with playful boys then the problem is with you, not the jumper.

Is this racist? https://www.zazzle.co.uk/crackers_tee-235734382162329454

It's a boy in a jumper. Who's the racist, the person who doesn't spot the apparent connection or the one who does? Sorry, if you see the word 'Monkey' on a child's jumper and immediately associate it with the colour of his skin rather than the well used 'cheeky monkey' phrase commonly associated with playful boys then the problem is with you, not the jumper.

Is this racist? https://www.zazzle.co.uk/crackers_tee-235734382162329454

£28 for a t shirt with a couple of crackers on? :o