Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

Hi Everyone!

First of all I'd like to introduce myself, my names Stefan and I currently live in Castleford and am managing a successful Flaming Grill pub, one thing I focus on 100% of the time is what the guest wants and doing my best to implement this 100% of the time.

If anyone would like to have a look at what we do please feel free to have a look on our website that can found by searching flaminggrillpubs.

If all goes to plan then I will be re-opening the Waggon and Horses at the back end of February as a Flaming Grill which is going to create around 20 jobs in the area.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the history of the pub and area?

I know this is a pre 19th century farmhouse and from what I have been told from the local pubs surrounding the Waggon, this was a good old pub before it was given a refurb and made a full service Pesto? If I could get some information from you guys on here it would really help me in making the Waggon and Horses a great pub once again and really let the local community mould this into there local once again.

I cant say too much else at the moment apart from that I will be holding a recruitment day shortly (24th January at The Ridgeway Arms) and if anyone would like any information on the jobs, which will be Front of House Team, Front of House Team Leader, Kitchen Manager, Chefs, and Cleaners, or even would just like to speak to me regarding the future of the Waggon and Horses please feel free to reply or private message me if you would prefer.

I look forward to hearing from you and also look forward to meeting some of you when we open!

Stefan.

Back in the eighties it was one the most popular pubs in the area, sadly times changed. The food has never been very good, even before it was Pesto. When Pesto took over they got rid of the local drinkers and by charging too much for drinks, they we're after the diners. Unfortunately it was dead during the week and couldn't survive.

It's next to the park and gets loads of passing trade, so should do alright providing the balance is right between those just wanting a couple of pints and those looking for a quick bite to eat. From looking at the flaming grill menu prices, it think you will hit the spot with this market, especially families, and he brand seems very popular elsewhere.

I think it needs a bit of a separate area for drinkers and diners, but not so much so that it would lose atmosphere if one side was quieter than the other.

Can you please put some comfy sofas in where you can relax and have a chat over a drink.

Hope it works, not a big fan of chain pubs but good luck, I'll give it a try when you open.

Edited by verona

Good luck mate its a smashing pub and Im sure if you get the right balance between pub and restraunt it will be a success. Had my Mum and Dads after funeral do in there a few years ago and the food was so bad and the service non existant we didnt go in again until the landlord left. Went in again and the food was realy poor so we only went in for drinks after that. It deserves to prosper.

any chance of local beers on the bar?

Good beer would be a tremendous asset. The park is heaving when the weather is decent so you have to do what you can to get families in.

Back in the eighties it was one the most popular pubs in the area, sadly times changed. The food has never been very good, even before it was Pesto. When Pesto took over they got rid of the local drinkers and by charging too much for drinks, they we're after the diners. Unfortunately it was dead during the week and couldn't survive.

It's next to the park and gets loads of passing trade, so should do alright providing the balance is right between those just wanting a couple of pints and those looking for a quick bite to eat. From looking at the flaming grill menu prices, it think you will hit the spot with this market, especially families, and he brand seems very popular elsewhere.

I think it needs a bit of a separate area for drinkers and diners, but not so much so that it would lose atmosphere if one side was quieter than the other.

Can you please put some comfy sofas in where you can relax and have a chat over a drink.

Hope it works, not a big fan of chain pubs but good luck, I'll give it a try when you open.

Thanks for the reply, Flaming Grill is the perfect split between both food and drink, so not only will we be looking at making a great restaurant for the local community by offering excellent meals at a really great price and I really do mean that, the steaks are great, and we also do our famous Challenge Burger which is a mammoth burger with approx 4500 calories to boot, but will keep the real pub feel by weekly or maybe even twice weekly quiz nights. I will also be looking into tribute artists like Buble, Bon Jovi and others for Saturday night entertainment, and once I have been in the area a few months and seen our clientele base other events will be arranged. I haven't actually been inside yet but have been informed there is indeed a separate area for both bar and dining areas which should hopefully hit the nail on the head in regards to the split of the pub.

I can't guarantee sofas but will do my best to get a real cosy bar area for the locals.

I look forward to seeing you and when you do come in just say your from the Sheffield Forum and you can have the first drink on me!

Stefan

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 01:07 ----------

Good luck mate its a smashing pub and Im sure if you get the right balance between pub and restraunt it will be a success. Had my Mum and Dads after funeral do in there a few years ago and the food was so bad and the service non existant we didnt go in again until the landlord left. Went in again and the food was realy poor so we only went in for drinks after that. It deserves to prosper.

Thanks for the reply Bob, A real passion of mine personally is that every single person who walks in and out of the doors gets treated like a guest in my own home so I guarantee that you will see a change in service standards, this may not happen overnight as always with a brand new group of people I have to get the standards in place but this will be evident in a short space of time.

I hope to see you when we open!

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 01:09 ----------

any chance of local beers on the bar?

Hi Andy, what are your ideas of a local beer? Obviously being a chain pub we do have certain guidelines but could try my best to get an idea of what the community find favourable.

Thanks Stefan

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 01:10 ----------

Good beer would be a tremendous asset. The park is heaving when the weather is decent so you have to do what you can to get families in.

Hi Jemson, what beers would you suggest?

Thanks in advance, Stefan.

hi, Stefan, hopefully carling on tap

This pub should be one of the profitable in the City. Sat on the edge of the best park in the City, great catchment area, on a busy road. and relatively chav free.

Is there any way of opening the back of the pub up, to the Park. To be able to have a few pints, sat outside, whist the kids play in the park would turn it into a gold mine.

There are plenty of lovely Sheffield beers eg abbeydale, kelham, bradfield. My favourite is farmers blonde.

There are plenty of lovely Sheffield beers eg abbeydale, kelham, bradfield. My favourite is farmers blonde.

They are all popular and would be good to see them rather than Smoothflow stuff or national ones like Doombar.

And my OH said the same about the back of the pub; if that was opened out a bit to give park views, then families would be keener.

'Flaming Grill' eh? 'Carling on tap', 4500 calorie burger, it always comes down to the lowest common denominator in the end, round here!

Edited by beefface

Is there any way of opening the back of the pub up, to the Park. To be able to have a few pints, sat outside, whist the kids play in the park would turn it into a gold mine.

This is a really good idea, we often travel across the city to Millhouses Park and always used the pub for a drink and a bite until it became Pesto. Looking forward to it re opening and good luck Stefan.