Is racism on the increase?

I think she did say it, or something very similar. Given that the leader of UKIP has nearly lost his position due to it, and that's even though he's dumped her like a hot potato.

I think she did say it, or something very similar. Given that the leader of UKIP has nearly lost his position due to it, and that's even though he's dumped her like a hot potato.

it quite important distinction, if the"Black American" was in the tweet or was not.

The Pakistani/indian hatred thing is not due to racism as both are the same ethnic race. :hihi:

Not all Pakistanis hate indians or vice versa so I think your wrong there.

No but its a really convenient tool used to make Asians look racist.

---------- Post added 16-01-2018 at 22:56 ----------

Tell me about your perception of the 70's; do you see them as a kind of golden age when everything was alright with the world?

Mass strikes, financial crashes, the IRA, power cuts, terrible racism and sexism, yeah the 70s were brill.

Tell me about your perception of the 70's; do you see them as a kind of golden age when everything was alright with the world?

There was a lot more freedom of speech in the 70`s thats for sure , the PC brigade wernt even thought of back then , so , yes , i believe the 70`s was a lot better than the modern day .

No but its a really convenient tool used to make Asians look racist.

---------- Post added 16-01-2018 at 22:56 ----------

Mass strikes, financial crashes, the IRA, power cuts, terrible racism and sexism, yeah the 70s were brill.

sound like the 1990 and 2000 you have just described.

There was a lot more freedom of speech in the 70`s thats for sure , the PC brigade wernt even thought of back then , so , yes , i believe the 70`s was a lot better than the modern day .

So, you're kind of nostalgic about not being able to call people with disabilties 'spazzers' or 'mongols' and you miss being able to refer to 'going for a Chinky' or to the '****' shop?

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 06:51 ----------

it quite important distinction, if the"Black American" was in the tweet or was not.

No. Not really. Do you really think it's only racist if she used the word black?

Isn't 'tainted' enough for you?

The only freedom of speech changes since then are that hate speech is now a crime. You particularly want to try to incite violence against people of a particular color or religion do you? :suspect:

According to Government statistics:

In 2016/17, there were 80,393 offences recorded by the police in which one or more hate crime strands were deemed to be a motivating factor. This was an increase of 29 per cent compared with the 62,518 hate crimes recorded in 2015/16, the largest percentage increase seen since the series began in 2011/12..... 78% of the total were race hate crimes

We both know that a rise in reports is not the same as a rise in incidents.

Amnesty International have published some accounts of 5 victims of hate crimes. I've posted a link to these below. .

We both also know that individual anecdotes prove nothing either.

I'm not denigrating any individual incidents at all, but there's nothing in your post that supports an increase in racism in the last couple of years. We might as well be discussing the rise in false reports, of which there are many, but that's not very helpful either.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 11:52 ----------

The only freedom of speech changes since then are that hate speech is now a crime. You particularly want to try to incite violence against people of a particular color or religion do you? :suspect:

That's not hate speech. That's incitement to violence. Hate speech can be something that simply makes me feel a bit uncomfortable and you can be locked up for something that benign.

You need to read up a bit on what hate speech is. For example, the most extraordinary example at the moment is some

so that it looks like the cute pug is a giving a nazi salute. His crass YouTube video of him saying "gas the jews" to the pug, and the dog lifting its paw got him arrested and carted to the police station in handcuffs.

He says that it was a joke in deliberate poor taste to annoy his girlfriend, and I believe him. I also think that it says a lot about his dullard personality, but nobody was harmed, and I don't believe that anyone was actually offended who actually mattered. Certainly none of my Jewish friends thought it was any more than I did.

He's been arrested and is awaiting trial when he expects to go to prison.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to make yourself look like a complete twonk under the spotlight.

There's a wider point here.

Can a country simultaneously have:

a. freedom of speech; and

b. restrictions on speech?

If so, it's hard to draw a dividing line acceptable to everyone.

So, you're kind of nostalgic about not being able to call people with disabilties 'spazzers' or 'mongols' and you miss being able to refer to 'going for a Chinky' or to the '****' shop?

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 06:51 ----------

No. Not really. Do you really think it's only racist if she used the word black?

Isn't 'tainted' enough for you?

no not really some (not me) may think that being devoiced is enough.

There's a wider point here.

Can a country simultaneously have:

a. freedom of speech; and

b. restrictions on speech?

If so, it's hard to draw a dividing line acceptable to everyone.

I'd use a simple dividing line. Anything and everything is OK to say right up to the point when you are inciting violence on a person. Nobody has the right not to be merely offended. You beat bad ideas with better ideas.

Quoting from Mein Kampf on Fargate is A OK. Shouting "Punch A Nazi" is not.

However, violence may sometimes need meeting with violence. Just don't be the one to start it.