Council tree felling...

Please do you have a contact number or is it just council you ring

As a Sheffielder back in the 1960s to 80s I loved so many of the tree-lined streets - they made photogenic views when I was starting in photography. I have been horrified by this story, especially as I spent five years in the 1970s producing photographs on the environment and planning for S Yorks County Council and remember how much they differed from Sheffield City Council, but I would never have though this possible.

I'm in Scotland now and in 2009, with co-ordinated help from a neighbour, I halted the cutting down of old yew trees in our town churchyard. I just started photographing the council workers and when challenged said the pictures were going to the press, on line and to the council within the hour - and did exactly that. An hour or two later they packed up and went leaving just three old yews surviving. All those they had 'pruned' except a couple died, and those will take 100 years to recover. The reason was, we believe, a collusion between council staff to cull these trees on a strange excuse that 'druggies were hiding drugs in them' - the objective, a stash of excellent hardwood firewood.

Sheffield tree protesters will be removed using 'reasonable force'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-42701353

Worrying bit in bold:

Under the terms of an injunction brought by Sheffield City Council, people are forbidden from entering safety zones set up around trees being felled.

It also forbids people encouraging or facilitating anyone else to breach the injunction, including through social media.

Why is that worrying? Nobody should be encouraging people to breach it.

Were you planning on doing so?

Why is that worrying? Nobody should be encouraging people to breach it.

Were you planning on doing so?

The wording of it is dangerously ambiguous.

What exactly does 'encouraging' or 'facilitating' mean in this context?

Could 'liking' a status on Facebook be seen as 'encouraging' for instance?

How about the people who say they are happy for protesters to stand in their garden? Is that regarded as 'facilitating'?

Looks to me like it could easily become a dangerous attack on freedom of speech and freedom of protest, that opens the floodgates for all sorts of behaviour on behalf of Amey.

And what the hell constitutes 'reasonable force'? Who decides that? When do they decide it? In court?!

Liking a status isnt encouraging or facilitating someone to breach an injunction.

Liking a status isnt encouraging or facilitating someone to breach an injunction.

Says who? You.

How about if others, such as Amey, decide it is?

Guest makapaka
Says who? You.

How about if others, such as Amey, decide it is?

The injunction was last August wasn't it? Has anyone been prosecuted for liking a facebook status since then?

The injunction was last August wasn't it? Has anyone been prosecuted for liking a facebook status since then?

I thought you were "bored" of this subject?!

I have no idea. I presume no-one. Not that that's the point of course.

The wording of it is dangerously ambiguous.

What exactly does 'encouraging' or 'facilitating' mean in this context?

Could 'liking' a status on Facebook be seen as 'encouraging' for instance?

How about the people who say they are happy for protesters to stand in their garden? Is that regarded as 'facilitating'?

Looks to me like it could easily become a dangerous attack on freedom of speech and freedom of protest, that opens the floodgates for all sorts of behaviour on behalf of Amey.

And what the hell constitutes 'reasonable force'? Who decides that? When do they decide it? In court?!

Perhaps this does: